Them carbs!!

Come here to ask for technical help and advice
Iain Pitchford

Them carbs!!

Post by Iain Pitchford » 27th August 2005 - 4:14pm

New to this type 3 thing, always been a 2 man. However the lucky purchaser of peru67 fast back. Thinking of replacing stock carbs, got loose spindles (but not that bad) were re-jetted with NOS kit, linkages all ok. timing checked, valves checked, 009 fitted, only 1000 miles on engine, carefull driver never take it over 3200rpm.

Current problem whenever some ones tinkers with them car runs ok, but gets 'spluttery' uneven. Usual guy has them idling at 1000rpm says it runs better.options:
1. Anyone know garage in S. London / London area that know whay they're doing re: tune up carbs.
2. Woth buying these air flow things and doing it that way
3. Purchasing new set of Webber etc. (the expensive option, is it worth it?
4. Get a good 'real' carb rebuild?
5. Anyone in London area wanna meet up and advice.

If new carbs goy aWestphalia awning to sell if anyone interested.

Editor

Spluttery engine

Post by Editor » 29th August 2005 - 12:50am

Welcome to sanity, Iain!

Chuck away the 009. It was originally used in a constant speed running in a stationary engine, with centrifugal advance only. It was favoured by racer types who do run their engines in one narrow rev range - flat out!

It isn't flexible for normal road use where you don't want to slam it into low gear to get the last gasp of acceleration, and doesn't have the improved fuel consumption that vacuum advance brings.

I expect most twin carbs have some air-leaks at the throttle bushes - Laurie (someone) will rebuild them but it's about £100 a carb. He might just do the throttle plate I suppose. He's at most of the showws, and knows what he's doing. Maybe advertises in the mags too.

Don't bother with Webbers - very hard to set up to work properly; never work straight out of the box. I once saw a Type 2 with them - never seen so much soot over the back bumper.

The carbalancer is good - there are other ways. Check out the info in the Workshop forum here - I've set out how I do my stock twin carbs.
Dave.

Iain Pitchford

Post by Iain Pitchford » 31st August 2005 - 5:22pm

Thanks for the info, I've always thought the same thng about 009, kept the vacum on the Type 2 because it needs the help. You've pretty much confirmed what I thought, though these twin carbs do keep you awake a night. Thanks for the, always admired these strange things but Type 3's are fantastic cars, the 'regal' range from volkswagen!

Stuart Sepple

Post by Stuart Sepple » 15th September 2005 - 4:37pm

>1. Anyone know garage in S. London / London area that know whay they're doing re: tune up carbs.

Hi,

I live in South London and if I have to use a Garage I use a guy called Andy Cutts in Welling. Tel: 020 8854 3851.

Hes very good and has worked on our Beetle and Type 3 Twin Carb squareback. If you use him mention I recomended him to you - Stuart owner of the cream squareback :D