Fitting Windscreen.....any tips?

Come here to ask for technical help and advice
bucket

Post by bucket » 8th February 2010 - 11:23pm

dude rubbers are such a nitemare ive never tried these but did recantly try t25 ones with the insert and struggled like buggery but have a number for an old school window fitter in essex who i use for most of them he can do amini screen in under 2 mins and has done loads of vws he also very reassonable might be worth a call..

aircoolsteve

Post by aircoolsteve » 9th February 2010 - 8:32am

hi buket. thanks for the reply mate. does this guy travel at all? could be a cold drive to essex!
also can you pass me his teliphone number. cheers
steve

bucket

Post by bucket » 9th February 2010 - 11:13am

hi steve give barry a ring on 01621744963 trident windscreens.
let us know how you get on
cheers jon

aircoolsteve

Post by aircoolsteve » 9th February 2010 - 7:05pm

thanks for that jon. i'll give him a call if only to pick his brains!
my NOS rear heated screen arrived today so i fitted the rubber round it. and this rubber is the same as the new front one. its the correct length but is not as thick as the one that came out. it came from a reliable source as well so maybe this is correct. managed to fit the trim as well!

confidence was so great i thought i'd have another go at fitting the trims to the rear side seals again but the rubber is too hard.

i may use this front rubber and see if i can get the rear side ones from simon. getting a bit fed up with windows at the moment! wan't really to move onto something else.

the difference in size seems to be in the outside flap part that rests on the cars paint round the outer lip.

what we need is a window guy whos into VWs!
steve

shawn71

Post by shawn71 » 9th February 2010 - 8:42pm

That's funny you say that Steve "the difference in size seems to be in the outside flap part that rests on the cars paint round the outer lip" because the replacement front seal I obtained for my 412 from a reliable source appears to have the same issue. The difference is mine went in and with the application of some sealant doesn't leak.

I wonder why they don't seem to match the originals????

aircoolsteve

Post by aircoolsteve » 9th February 2010 - 8:57pm

hi shawn. i'm willing to give it a try but what seal did you use and did you use it before you fitted the screen to the car or after?

when i think of all the work i've put into this square, i never thought i'd be held up for a month with glass fitting problems!
steve

shawn71

Post by shawn71 » 11th February 2010 - 6:32pm

It was a stuff called Seek n Seal made by Comma.

From looking around on the internet forit this stuff appears to be longer available but according to some more research, that led to this volvo forum

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=61059

this stuff does the same

and it was used after the screen was put in the car up at Volksfarmers a few weeks after we originally fitted the screen because it leaked in all that rain we had at the end of last summer. Since using this stuff the leak seems to have stopped with only my wet feet making the carpets damp.

aircoolsteve

Post by aircoolsteve » 11th February 2010 - 7:08pm

hi shawn. well that stuff looks ok. think i will see if i get any leaks and get some if the o'l wet comes in. on the other hand, it would seem that in cold conditions it takes about 30-40 mins to cure, so if you're quick! bung it on before you fit! risky?!!
steve

Editor

Post by Editor » 12th February 2010 - 12:40am

I used some of that on a Fastback screen - don't use it before fitting - run it in around the outside, between rubber and body , particularly around the top and down the sides of the frame, and between the rubber and outer glass surface.

Don't fuss too much with the bottom of the rubber to body - the reason being the foot or so high column of water between there and the roof level can push the water around under the rubber and out inside if there's no other way out!

It's thin and seeps into gaps then seals.
Dave.