WINDOW OUTER SCRAPER RUBBER

Come here to ask for technical help and advice
bbcobmike

WINDOW OUTER SCRAPER RUBBER

Post by bbcobmike » 5th February 2010 - 2:55pm

Not being able to get just the replacement outer scraper rubber I bit the bullet and got a complete trim with rubber which had been reprofiled from a beetle one.

The fit is not even close.!!!!

The total length of trim where the rubber sits is 1cm too long and the rubber itself is 2cm too long. And of course none of the fixing positions line up.

The rubber itself is not too bad now it is trimmed properly

Not really surprised as most pattern/remanufactured parts are poor and I had a feeling that this would probably be the case with these things. I had already resigned myself to removing the rubber from the replacement trim and to re riveting it to my original trim which is in excellent condition.

In the year I have been restoring this type3 (my first) I have sent back most of the pattern stuff and eventually have managed to find genuine bits that have been good enough to be renovated.

aircoolsteve

Post by aircoolsteve » 6th February 2010 - 8:56pm

hi. i had the same problems with my car. the scrapers i got were from the states. i went a long way to pick them up and i had them on the shelf for quite a while. when it came to using them they were no good at all.

ended up renovating the ones that came out. i was lucky enough to find some pretty good rubbers at a swapmeet. just had to make the bar at the back of the rubber and drill the rivet holes in the right places.
bus rubbers, although too long are pretty well identical to the type3 ones.

there is a thread on here somewhere that explains how to do it. type3 detectives modify bug scrapers to fit the type3. i've heard good and bad results on these. i put a bug one up to my type3 door and decided to start the job with my origional ones!
good luck with yours
steve

DelBoy

Post by DelBoy » 7th February 2010 - 5:48pm

Here's the howto I put together from when I did this job on my square, hope it helps!

viewtopic.php?t=2410&highlight=

bbcobmike

Post by bbcobmike » 7th February 2010 - 7:36pm

Yes thanks.

I found your pics very helpful. Fortunately apart from the rubbers going there was only a little corrosion on the backing strip and all the clips are ok.

Hope to reassemble tomorrow once I have riveted.

I was goig to put some pics on to show just how bad the re-profiled beetle trim was. However can't find the way yet...The site talks about using a URL and Img key. Well I can see the Img key ....

Editor

Post by Editor » 7th February 2010 - 11:46pm

You have to have the pictures on a website somewhere - eg flickr.com . If you can't get them on the web yourself, I'll post them for you, email them to dave(at)hallvw.clara.co.uk and I'll sort it (replace (at) with @ first!).
Dave.

bbcobmike

Post by bbcobmike » 8th February 2010 - 8:02pm

Thanks Dave for the info on posting pics and for the free pic hosting site.
I think I have now cracked it although there must be an easy way to copy the picture URL from the flickr site. Im right clicking the pic and then trying to copy the URL from "properties"

This pic shows the difference between the the cut down beetle rubber (top one)and the original. Easy to retrim the rubber to the correct length and then to re-punch holes in the correct place for riveting back on the original trim.

Anyway the following pic shows the difference in length between the reprofiled beetle trim and the original. A good 1-2cm too long and it would be impossible for any of the window channel clips to be fitted properly.

So with some care and using pop rivets without the centre pin the new rubber was riveted back on to the original trim and the whole door was re assembled without any difficulty as long as you do things in the right order and take care.

Editor

Post by Editor » 9th February 2010 - 12:08am

That's the way I did it some years ago - you drive out the mandrel (the remains of the steel pin) so the rivet flattens nicely. Good job!

Some people need the decent metal trim though, so it's a shame if it can be reprofiled if done carefully but isn't being supplied properly done.
Dave.

kyle

Post by kyle » 9th February 2010 - 2:51am

what are the WESTCOAST METRIC outer scraper trim set like?

airoolsteve where did u get urs from so i no who not to get them from
67 fastback
65 bug
KNOWLEDGE IS POWER!!

aircoolsteve

Post by aircoolsteve » 11th February 2010 - 5:53pm

hi ya kyle. i got my rubbish from a guy in brighton. he was selling off stuff he had over from a project he had abandoned. not sure what maker they were from but he said he bought them in this country.
i've posted details earlier on this thread on what i did. thing is, if your scapers are in good condition and its just the rubbers that need attention, if you remove them with a lot of care you can fit cut-down bus rubbers with a lot of success.
even if you find a repro pair that are usable you will have to be careful when you fit them as they are easily destoyed due to their fragile nature.
take out the originals with care even if you find replacements. you may be able to sell any good bits to someone who needs them.
steve

flatbeat

Post by flatbeat » 9th March 2010 - 1:41pm

I've just taken a chance and ordered some up from Dutch firm Paruzzi. Might take a little while to get round to fitting as afew other jobs come first but I'll post what they are like and if any good! Lets hope so ;)
'57 Split Screen. Replica Devon
'62 Single Cab
'62 15 Window Split Screen
'67 Squareback. Original California Black Plate Car