Narrowed Beams

Come here to ask for technical help and advice
dpetteng

Narrowed Beams

Post by dpetteng » 20th February 2010 - 7:31pm

So does anyone actually make narrowed type 3 beams or do you have to change everything to a Type 1 beam?

inkedkitch

Post by inkedkitch » 22nd February 2010 - 8:54am

You have to change to a type1 beam, dont think you can narrow a type 3 beam :?
If you cant fix it with duck tape you havent put enough on!

dpetteng

Post by dpetteng » 22nd February 2010 - 10:32am

Cool, as I thought. So you have to swap everything? Spindles, discs etc etc?

inkedkitch

Post by inkedkitch » 22nd February 2010 - 11:24am

Yes full front setup, ball joint or linkpin. You can grab a whole front setup off ebay cheap! 8)
If you cant fix it with duck tape you havent put enough on!

kyle

Post by kyle » 23rd February 2010 - 3:01am

there is some1 on here that has done a t3 beam n he shows a pic of it narrowed i'll find the thread later n post it.
67 fastback
65 bug
KNOWLEDGE IS POWER!!

Editor

Post by Editor » 23rd February 2010 - 12:00pm

I was looking for that too, Kyle. The search on the site is rubbish! We still don't know the secret of shortening the splined bar - I think there is still doubt about how it will work and hold up. There are seriously massive shock loads when the front axle hits a bump or pothole (which happens all the time these days after the big freeze).

This is the thread.
viewtopic.php?t=2190
Dave.

aircoolsteve

Post by aircoolsteve » 23rd February 2010 - 10:15pm

i remember seeing a thread on one forum sometime ago on the subgect of narrowing a type3 beam.
its a big job on the type3 beam as really, shortening the tortion bars is out of the question due to the safety aspect. i can tell you that there is no way i would trust a welded tortion bar. just not on.
the modification i saw moved the splined locations and used the original length bars. it wasn't in a finished state either so iv'e no idea if it actually worked.
just think about how much work is involved in getting everything just in the right place. also, if you look at the one pic of the fitted beam in the thread, the shock turrets pass up through the fuel tank space. useful!
i think that the shock towers are removed from the bug version and mounts are welded to the inner wing. not sure but i think thats what happens.
it not a job for the home man i reckon. when creative make something for the general marketplace they have to do work to attain the propper certificates of safety.
personally, i like the car the way it is. its way in front of the handling of a beetle and gives a really nice ride. why fit susspension thas not as good?
only my veiw.
steve

alan

Post by alan » 24th February 2010 - 7:52am

Ben Lewis does a narrowed beam for type 3's. This service is only done with the car at his workshop! And he will never send out a beam to be retro-fitted by a customer.

He has to take exact measurements from the vehicle and change/fab things as he goes. This is not a job for the amature mechanic!!

As for compromising the ride of a car,i have gone to a 4 inch narrowed ball joint beam with AirRide and a Disc upgrade. My car has never gone down the road in a more controlled way. :D

You can contact Ben here....07929-726351
www.evilbens.blogspot.com/

dpetteng

Post by dpetteng » 25th February 2010 - 4:02pm

Cool, any idea where Ben is based?

alan

Post by alan » 25th February 2010 - 8:52pm

dpetteng wrote:Cool, any idea where Ben is based?
Unit 7, Killiewherries ind est, Chacewater, near Truro, Cornwall.
www.evilbens.blogspot.com/