Type 4 exhaust stud length

Come here to ask for technical help and advice
hernandez412

Type 4 exhaust stud length

Post by hernandez412 » 29th April 2010 - 8:44am

High folks, Does anyone know the length of the exhaust studs on the type 4 1.8. Id imagine they should all be the same on the 4's. Mine were all rotten and miss matched, had to weld a few out also. I picked up some M8 X 45 but have a feeling they should be nearer 56 long. Also where can you get these( not in evil stainless) but prober HT steel. I'll also check with the exhaust on once ive finnished welding up the Frankenstein heatexchanger :paranoid:

Editor

Re: Type 4 exhaust stud length

Post by Editor » 29th April 2010 - 4:05pm

I hadn't realised how different things are on a Type 4 engine.
These are for the heat exchangers, right?
Book says M7 x 52 up to engine V 0 033 350, and M8 x 53 after that.
Dave.

hernandez412

Post by hernandez412 » 29th April 2010 - 8:47pm

Cheers Dave. Thats the bad heat exchanger all welded up, it's not pretty, but should last as I used dexion shelf steel to patch it . Now I need to find a home for the stuff that was on the shelf :lol: . I'll check with my motor factors and see if I can pick up some M8 x 55 0r 60, i'm thinking double brass nutting :paranoid: belt and braces like :thumbsup:

Jim

hernandez412

Post by hernandez412 » 3rd May 2010 - 10:34am

All exhaust studs out bar 2. Had to weld most of the exhaust studs out. I've got 2 stubborn ones that are getting shorter with every sheared off welded on nut, POO. Yup studs I got were too short, but will do for type 1 motors. One of my studs is over sized just to add a little more joy to my life, looks to be a nats whisker bigger, maybe M9. This engine has the vw recycle mark on it so, I supose it's to be expected. Think I'll soak em in plusgas for a few more days before I attempt my stud extraction again. I've not worked on 412's before so have no point of reference, Finding myself heads scratching over tinware and fittings, which I do or don't need, Hmmmmm