rear suspension

Come here to ask for technical help and advice
compodub

rear suspension

Post by compodub » 6th May 2010 - 2:53pm

Just fitted another set of wheels to me Fastie and the rears are 195 they came off another fastie so should work. however they rub i have always thought see looked a little low at the back but just put it down to the handbrake being on. have bumped the car by hand and there was little or no bounce so would this mean that me shocks have gone or something else
please
thanks
life without a vw is just death by another name

aircoolsteve

Re: rear suspension

Post by aircoolsteve » 6th May 2010 - 10:21pm

hi. you don't say what wheels you have and what wheels you had before. if you are going to fit 195 tyres you need to fit wheels with the correct offset. type3s are a bit fussy on this as there isn't a lot of room under those arches. another thing is you risk contact with the front inner wing edges on full lock.
i had a go at 185.55s on my square fitted to empi 8s but the offset on 8s just don't lend themselves to the type3 so i've changed them for marathons that have a better offset.
steve

Editor

Post by Editor » 7th May 2010 - 12:26pm

Unless your shocks are coil-overs or something, there's no support from a shock absorber - you can push them closed or pull them apart off the car. They just stop that happening easily, to damp the body oscillations.

It sounds like the suspension has been lowered. Has it always been like this? Look underneath - is it resting on the bump stops? Torsion bars rarely break and it would be very odd to drive, wobbling all over the road.
Dave.

compodub

Post by compodub » 9th May 2010 - 11:33am

hi both sorry for delay been away with the t25 changing roofs the car handles just fine but have always thought back end looked low will try and get some pics up. they are empi 8's
thanks
life without a vw is just death by another name