Notchback loss of reverse gear!

Come here to ask for technical help and advice
leaky

Notchback loss of reverse gear!

Post by leaky » 30th May 2010 - 11:42am

Could anybody give me a starting point for finding out the cause of my loss of reverse gear?

Yesterday my notchback decided it would no long travel in a backwards direction after filling up at my local garage. All other gears a fine, but now when trying to select reverse it is impossible to locate. In the past it had popped out sometimes but engaged on the second attempt. I'm using an EMPI short shift which I have removed and inspected with no visable faults.

I'm running a 1641 engine which I installed several years ago. The gearbox is the standard for the 1500 model.

Does anybody have any ideas? I'm hoping this is a simple problem and not a new gearbox.

aircoolsteve

Re: Notchback loss of reverse gear!

Post by aircoolsteve » 30th May 2010 - 9:30pm

hi. its worth lifting the rear seat out and remove the cover that hides the coupling. this suffers from becomming soft from oil and heat over the years and sometimes even comes loose.
also, check that aftermarket shifter for correct ajustment. if you already have the shifter out get hold of the rod that it locates in and check the up and down movment. the rod bush may need replacing.
if you have the stock shifter, try using that insead of the one you have. try all that before pulling the box out.
good luck with it.
steve

purplepeter

Post by purplepeter » 30th May 2010 - 10:37pm

I would suspect the gate/selector plate is maladjusted

leaky

Post by leaky » 31st May 2010 - 11:54am

Thanks for the advise, I've got it all fixed now. Worked my way from the shifter to the engine. Looked like a bit of worn coupling, slack clutch cable and adjustment of the shifter plate. All back together and running smoother than ever.

Thanks again

aircoolsteve

Post by aircoolsteve » 31st May 2010 - 8:01pm

nice one... its so good when you find the answer before pulling the motor out! those gearboxes aren't bad when you think about the time when they were designed and the milege they cover before they act up. the linkage really is the weak part of it all and that performs quite well as well.
steve