SQUAREBACK ENGINE COVER

Come here to ask for technical help and advice
aircoolsteve

SQUAREBACK ENGINE COVER

Post by aircoolsteve » 2nd June 2010 - 8:18pm

hi all. the engine cover on my square has no heat pad under it. i also have another cover with a pretty good heat pad on it but it doesn't have the webbing with the gutter hook on it. do i take it that maybe the later cars didn't have the webbing with the hook?
i don't really want to try and remove the heat pad and transfer it to the other one. also, the foil thats on the surface is sort of off the edge and doesn't look like it was ever glued with anything.
has anyone got an idea on how this should be? was there glue of some kind or am i missing something!
i was fishing about in my workshop when i found this cover and i was just about to look into how i was going to sort out the one on the car with no heat pad. real bonus if i can keep the pad connected to the cover! oh, and transfer the closing clips over as the good one has them missing.
steve

Editor

Re: SQUAREBACK ENGINE COVER

Post by Editor » 2nd June 2010 - 11:58pm

The Fastback and Notchback don't have the webbing strap - that's for the Variant oinly. The Fastback clips onto the boot opening; I've not had a Notch to know what that does. I think the strap goes into slots in the cover - I had to put mine back in ISTR.

I think the heat pad comes off if you remove the 'buttons'. You may have to ease the internal pad off to do that.
Dave.

rustydubs

Post by rustydubs » 8th July 2010 - 9:48pm

any pics of the cover with straps, mine doesnt seem to have them?

Editor

Post by Editor » 8th July 2010 - 11:07pm

It's webbing about 15mm wide, tucks in at the back of the cover through slots in the metal I think, and is long enough to lay across the surface and tuck the hook into the hollow for storage. That gives you the length needed. When you think how many of those lids were produced, it seems crazy if no-one has a spare one. I must have one or two somewhere, but I really don't recall where.
Dave.

mr fish

Post by mr fish » 9th July 2010 - 7:07am

Notch lid has a sort of spring clip mounted in it which clips into a matching hook on the edge of the boot roof.

rustydubs

Post by rustydubs » 9th July 2010 - 1:20pm

just had a look at my square, carnt seem to see where everything should go, no straps or hooks!!! need pics. :?