Oil in fan housing?

Come here to ask for technical help and advice
SB Jim

Oil in fan housing?

Post by SB Jim » 28th June 2010 - 9:10am

I have just installed a recon long block in my 68 Square, all standard 1600cc, twin carbs etc - took it around the block and found oil dripping from the fan housing. Took the pulley housing and fan housing off and I guess the only place it is coming from is the thrower ring, there are no drips or any sign of oil on the oil cooler.
Can I run the engine for a while without the fan and pulley housings on to check where it is coming from. Before I drove it I had it on tick over for about 10 mins without leaks - maybe it only leaks under load.

Any help guys would be great.

Cheers
Jim

SB Jim

Re: Oil in fan housing?

Post by SB Jim » 28th June 2010 - 10:56am

I have just found an old fan which is different to the one I was running. The one I had on was off a 2 litre engine it looks like it had been welded for strength, I will try again with the standard fan. I will check the breather also.

Cheers
Jim

Editor

Re: Oil in fan housing?

Post by Editor » 29th June 2010 - 9:00pm

As you say, there's a thrower on the rear of the crankshaft to spin any oil that tries to leave that way back into the case.

I'd suggest you check the oil level first - in case it is much too full.

Then look at the breather arrangement - if that didn't get cleaned out it may be quite clogged.

There are some breather arrangements on later Type 3 engines that need ventilated rocker chambers, but that probably isn't the problem here.

I see no reason why you shouldn't run the engine for a few minutes without the fan. I'm sure you'll notice before it gets too hot.
Dave.