In Car Audio in an early Type3? Anyone done a hidden setup?

Come here to ask for technical help and advice
ed

In Car Audio in an early Type3? Anyone done a hidden setup?

Post by ed » 19th August 2010 - 8:09am

Speaker pods in the front wings? A guy in Hull used to make them, Flatfourplay was his name I think??

Stereo in the glove box?

Help me build a tidy hidden system please :D

bilbo

Re: In Car Audio in an early Type3? Anyone done a hidden set

Post by bilbo » 19th August 2010 - 11:17am

i've seen a couple of good set ups on a modified wire or weave rack that runs under the dash - take the dimensions of the frame - get an old/knackered one - insert a piece of mdf cut to shape to the inside of the frame and insert the stereo and speakers on the underside, then cover with the cloth that people use to hide speakers mounted on rear parcel selfs - can't think of the name of the stuff at the moment, my head is full of cold :wasted: i've seen one where they guy had left a lip running around the top side so he could still use the rack.

a small/medium i-pod/mp3 in the ashtray is a good one instead of a stereo head unit if you don't want to cut/mount to the dash or cut the glovebox - there was a red/whit split in volksworld last year where they had done this. it's what i will be doing when i get the car back on the road.

hope this helps, billy
scrapyards are for quitters

easy

Post by easy » 19th August 2010 - 2:23pm

I will be installing an ipod to amp stereo in mine, as long as you are not bothered by it not charging its fine (it takes more wires and bits to get it charging 8)
Chrome doesnt get you home...

ed

Post by ed » 19th August 2010 - 4:23pm

Don't have an ipoo yet :D

I can put an amp in the bonnet, but I need the speakers placing some where without cutting metal,.... If I could find someone with the old moulds I could take a mould from that,...Under tray is bamboo so no good.

blueridge

Post by blueridge » 19th August 2010 - 4:25pm

i got headunit in glove box,front speakers mounted under front parcel shelf,rear speakers in bootlid and sub in the boot.
[i][u]BLUE RIDGE RUNNERS AUTO SHOW [/u][/i]
6-8th September 2019
just 2 miles off J23 M5
For more details PM me or email me
Show@blueridgerunners.co.uk

varirat

Post by varirat » 19th August 2010 - 4:41pm

ive used two 6x9's mountred on a piece of plywood which is rested on top of the rear of the back seat and then the top resting against the rear shelf

type3willy

Post by type3willy » 22nd August 2010 - 12:44pm

I have a classic Blaupunkt autoradio with two little but powerful speakers (one in the dashboard, and another one underneath), and a modern RadioCD-mp3 into the globebox, with two aditional little speakers underneath the dashboard. You can not see any of the 4 speakers, and the sound is great in both cases.
Where is the engine?