poorly fstback engine

Come here to ask for technical help and advice
steviebandoo

poorly fstback engine

Post by steviebandoo » 19th January 2006 - 9:38pm

Hi Can Anyone Help Me

last week my fastback 1972 1600 on solexs gave up the go while on a trip. The coil and Condeser had gone so i changed them both after being towed home . the next day it started ok and was running fine but 20 mins into the journey i lost power going up a steep hill ( haldon hill near exeter devon). pulled over and found the carb balence pipe had come off the left carb .back on and off we went. by the time i got home (brixham) the car sounded like a tank. asked someone if they could listen to it and they suggested changeing the plugs and checking the points which i have done

NOW FOR THE PROBLEM
The Car Turns Over For Longer Than Usual then fires but it sounds very growlly ( the only way i can describe it ). there is also a sound coming from the engine that sounds like compressed air being realesed , this happens with evey turn of the engine and gets faster if you increase the revs .

IS MY FASTBACK DEAD
I Would Be Very Greatful if someone out there could help me as im now frightend to use it. i had no knowledge of Aircooled engines before this car but im learning fast and have got good technical ability so if someone can point me in the right direction i would hopefuly get there.

thanks for you time
steve smith brixham devon

If Anyone Is From The Torbay Area Of Devon And Can Help me I Will Gladly Meet You With The Car. If You Email Me a contact number i will ring you Straight Back

many thanks steve

miketyp3

Post by miketyp3 » 20th January 2006 - 8:44am

Hi Steve,
Sorry to hear your problem, it's not something I've heard of before.
The only thing I can think of is if you have some sort of compresion leak from one cylinder.
If you have a compression tester to hand try checking each cylinder in turn. Alternitively with the engine running, pull each plug lead from the top of the distributor one at a time. If the engine revs drop each time then compression is o.k, but if you pull a lead off and there's no change in engine note then that cylinder is dead.
Possible causes could be a sticking or broken exhaust valve, a cracked head (but it would have to be really bad) or a leak from the cylinder / head joint.

Hope you get it sorted soon.

Mike.

Mike.