Engine problem

Come here to ask for technical help and advice
fastygaz

Engine problem

Post by fastygaz » 29th September 2010 - 10:50pm

Hi all,
The missus took my fasty as her ride to work this morning, leaving me with the familymobile...however, she turned up in my work car park later, telling me that my car was knackered and she wanted the practical one back!!
I went out on my break to find oil running into the drain behind my car and when I started it up it wouldn't rev and didn't sound too clever.
I've just limped it home from work at 20 mph with my hazards on and will be having a good look to see what the damage is.

Just wondered if anyone had any ideas as exactly how my car has shit the bed and what damage may have been done?!

Any help would be gratefully received

Thanks
Gaz
If it ain't King James it ain't bible y'all........

Editor

Re: Engine problem

Post by Editor » 29th September 2010 - 11:15pm

Did you manage to stop the oil flowing out and top it up to something like where it should be? Driving with no oil won't have helped it, even at 20mph.

The most likely way out for oil is if a rocker-cover gasket pops out of position. Crankcase oil seals can drip oil at a fair rate, but only when running. Push-rod tube seals do leak as well - if one cracks or rusts through that would cause a fairly steady oil leak when running. A blocked crankcase breather can also cause oil to be forced out at the rear of the engine, past the crankshaft thrower.

Failure to run properly when it had previously been doing so sounds serious, unless it's something like oil from the air-cleaner that is getting into the carbs.
Dave.

fastygaz

Post by fastygaz » 30th September 2010 - 9:55am

Hi Dave,
Thanks for the reply.
The car's sorted now mate, the oil was coming from 2 cracked pushrod tubes, so I've just replaced 'em.
The bogging down and poor running was apparently a separate problem which just happened to come at the same time...the fuel line to the nearside carb had split and was throwing the fuel onto the floor rather than into the carb. So, I've replaced that and it's spinning up and idling like a dream.

Thanks again
Gaz

Editor

Post by Editor » 30th September 2010 - 10:28pm

That's a relief - I was worried you may have cooked something getting it home. Sounds like you only just avoided cooking the whole thing! Fuel leaking near spark-plug leads and its vapour reaching the distributor points are a recipe for something catching fire.
Dave.

fastygaz

Post by fastygaz » 30th September 2010 - 10:41pm

Not to mention I was enjoying a cigarette at the time!! Haha!! Glad it's sorted and running like a dream again.

Thanks
Gaz

purplepeter

Post by purplepeter » 30th September 2010 - 10:43pm

Whilst its in your mind,take the opportunity to replace all the fuel hoses-if one has gone,theyre all due for renewal.

Jane Terry

Post by Jane Terry » 3rd October 2010 - 5:51pm

totally agree with that advice.

kembiff

Post by kembiff » 6th October 2010 - 11:38pm

Glad you got it sorted mate - other halves will never really understand though they often put up with te grief! :nod:
Andy in Durham. Call round for a cuppa!

fastygaz

Post by fastygaz » 7th October 2010 - 8:11am

Thanks all, advice gratefully received!! The fasty is the only jalopy I've had that she'll drive...she loves it!! We argue about who's the designated driver when we go out, cos we both want to be!! Haha!!
Thanks again
Gaz