I'm really cold!!!

Come here to ask for technical help and advice
fastygaz

I'm really cold!!!

Post by fastygaz » 18th November 2010 - 6:49pm

Hi all,
I've got no heat exchangers and I like driving whilst wearing less than an Eskimo and being able to see where I'm going!! Funds won't allow for an ebber, so I've been looking at a 300 watt 12v fan heater for cars which draws 25 Amps and was wondering if this would be viable or if it'd just drain my battery instantly and prevent me from going anywhere?
Any help gratefully received as I'm bloody freezing to death in my daily!!
Cheers
Gaz
If it ain't King James it ain't bible y'all........

rustydubs

Re: I'm really cold!!!

Post by rustydubs » 18th November 2010 - 9:40pm

Get some heat exchangers, those heaters are crap, got heat exchangers in the square and am still driving round in mi pants!!! Toastie.

fastygaz

Post by fastygaz » 18th November 2010 - 10:26pm

Got no heating system ancillaries at all...they were completely removed by the previous owner!! Don't even know if the channels have got heater tubes in them since they were replaced!! So, a retrofit system is really my only option...just need to know what I can get away with!!
Gaz

Editor

Post by Editor » 19th November 2010 - 1:20am

Don't bother with a battery powered electric heater - the average hair dryer is around 1200Watts and some a lot more.
Dave.

fastygaz

Post by fastygaz » 19th November 2010 - 6:40am

I figured they were gonna be pretty lacklustre...I'm not really worried about heating, I'd just like to be able to see where I'm going!!
Gaz

shawn71

Post by shawn71 » 19th November 2010 - 9:33am

I fitted one of the little 12v demister on the rear parcel shelf of my wife's bug. It clears the rear window, eventually after 30 minutes which is enough time for her to get to work and then see out the rear window enough to reverse into a parking bay at the office.

As for heating the car the only worthwhile methods I know of are either a stock setup or an eber (or equivalent) heater.
'70VW 411LE 2 Door Saloon, '71 Beetle and '78 Late bay

fastygaz

Post by fastygaz » 19th November 2010 - 10:17am

Looks like it'll have to be a 12v heater to clear up the screen a bit for the time being and try and pry the father in law's spare eber from his greasy mitts for when I want to actually be warm!!
Cheers
Gaz

Editor

Post by Editor » 20th November 2010 - 12:49am

The inner sill can carry heated air - not quite as good if the web is missing between outer and inner sill though!

A Type 3 in the UK gives out plenty of heat with the original setup, and it's a lot of work fitting a petrol heater.

Alternatively you can get an electrically heated vest, gloves and pants and approach normality - you won't get any passengers in cold weather though! I think bikers and horse-riders use them.
Dave.

bucket

Post by bucket » 21st November 2010 - 7:00pm

more clothes a micro fibre cloth for the screen and chain smoke and also 1/4 lite open works for me in my split.... :badgrin:
Maufactured by Volkswagen
Remanufactured by me.....

fastygaz

Post by fastygaz » 21st November 2010 - 7:15pm

That sums up every journey to and from work at the moment buddy!! Haha!!
Gonna investigate what's been done by the previous owner and look at getting some heat exchangers back on.
Cheers to all
Gaz

miketyp3

Post by miketyp3 » 22nd November 2010 - 9:13am

Once you have the heat exchangers fitted, maybe look at blocking the tube into the sill section if you think it will just leak out.
The heat can still come out under the back seat, so at least the cabin will get warm.

I find the fresh air vents more effective at screen clearing, especially with a window slightly open on early cars without the rear screen vents.

Mike
Mike

64 1500S Notchback - RHD Sunroof
66 1600TL Fastback - Pigalle Interior
67 T346 Karmann Ghia - RHD Sunroof

fastygaz

Post by fastygaz » 22nd November 2010 - 9:58am

The fresh air vents have been blocked up and smoothed out unfortunately!! The screen always clears with both windows and 1/4 lights open...although sometimes only just as I'm turning into my street!! Haha!!
Gaz

Havana Henry

Post by Havana Henry » 22nd November 2010 - 4:31pm

I had similar problems in a bug a few years ago (blocked channels and screen vents, no stock heat set up).

Got the exchangers back on / hooked up, and that gives some heat from behind you after a few minutes. Fine on longer journeys. Bought one of those heaters you mention, they are crap, but the feeble flow of warm air is just enough to help keep the screen clear, along with your wiping. I had it on velcro and could put it under the dash to point at me when the screen wasn't too bad!

Good luck!
72 Square
64 356C

volkswalker

Post by volkswalker » 25th November 2010 - 7:50am

good topic cos as you can see with my resto ive no heater channels either
so im opting for a 2nd 12v battery which will power heating...
havent quite worked it all out yet tho ill worry about the day after the MOT! :badgrin:
we dont stop playing because we get old.... we get old because we stop playing

fastygaz

Post by fastygaz » 27th November 2010 - 1:50pm

Managed to purloin the father in law's spare eber...just gotta figure out how to install it!!
Still gonna look into getting some exchangers back on to take advantage of some free cabin heat when its not arctic conditions but the prospect of being able to set an eber to come on at 5 in the morning so I can get into a clear and warm car to leave for an early shift is rather appealing to me.
Thanks for all the advice...glad I consulted you all before wasting my hard earned on a useless battery drainig electric item!!
Cheers
Gaz

ozzy

Post by ozzy » 29th November 2010 - 3:33pm

I bought a heated seat cover,ahhhhh thats better..........lol