no compression in cylinders 1 and 3???

Come here to ask for technical help and advice
jrentz13

no compression in cylinders 1 and 3???

Post by jrentz13 » 19th November 2010 - 2:00am

I have an 1835cc motor with dual empi pic34 carbs. I recently replaced the carbs, from 32 s to 34 s. I started to run hot and I pulled over to check the plugs by pulling the plugs off the distributor one at a time and 1 and 3 had no change in idle. I then replaced the plugs with no change. the plugs from 1 and 3 were sooty but not burned white or grey. I decided to do a compression check on the cylinders and had no compression in 1 and 3. What could be my problem???

JSR-69

Re: no compression in cylinders 1 and 3???

Post by JSR-69 » 19th November 2010 - 10:23am

You'll need to run through the standard checks starting with valve clearances. Odd that it's cylinders on opposite sides, if you'd lost compression in both on the same side, I'd suspect a loose head.

If you valve clearances are OK, then you've either got burnt valves or a broken piston ring ... but that is unlikely to give you zero compression, just lower than normal.

I take it you haven't heard any unusual "noises" from the engine bay recently?

Judi
Judi R
1963 Beetle (awaiting restoration)
1972 Karmann Ghia (sold)
1972 412 Variant Auto
1974 412 5-door Variant project

Editor

Post by Editor » 20th November 2010 - 12:45am

I can't see how you were able to decide to pull over as it was running hot if only two cylinders were firing! That would have been a more obvious reason for stopping. Do those plugs/plug caps get warm? That's a good check that something is firing when running at normal rpm. If something is marginal it can happen that a plug doesn't fire.

Two camshaft lobes are common to both 1 and 3 cyls - a bad cam would affect both 1 and 3, but it would not tend to lose compression - the valves just wouldn't open correctly.

How did you check the compression with a gauge or by feel by turning over the engine? Try turning the engine over by hand and listening for wheezing sounds as it compresses (or not). Check the valve clearances - a tight valve or even two isn't unusual. Watch out for the valve stem lengthening (valve clearances keep disappearing) and the valve is about to lose its head.
Dave.

jrentz13

Post by jrentz13 » 24th November 2010 - 2:31am

I found out it was running hot after i pulled over :) i pulled over because it felt like i had half throttle. I figured the linkage rattled loose on one side. which happened a few days earlier after i put the new carbs on. As for the compression i thought it was strange to have no compression on opposite sides, at the very least low compression. I did a valve adjustment and the valves were on point at .006 nothing dramatic.

Editor

Post by Editor » 30th November 2010 - 2:27am

I suggest you check the compression again, just to be sure - if you confirm there is none in those two, I can't see what alternative you have other than pulling the heads off and seeing what's wrong.
Dave.