Solex 32 PDsits, idle adjaustment????

Come here to ask for technical help and advice
corndog

Solex 32 PDsits, idle adjaustment????

Post by corndog » 17th December 2010 - 12:39am

So how do you adjust the idle when there's no idle screw!!!!!???? There's the volume screw and thats it, I've never really looked into adjusting the idle and setting up the carbs myself but even my dab hand mechanic friend is baffled!! :| The 34's have a idle adjuster why don't the 32's and howd you get around this problem???

Editor

Re: Solex 32 PDsits, idle adjustment????

Post by Editor » 17th December 2010 - 1:23am

The throttle stop screw does the idle (hex brass slotted screw). You should adjust them with an air-flow measuring device - Carbalancer - or other equivalent. That compares the idle flow-rate, then you readjust to get both having the same flow and the rpm around 850 manual or 900 auto.

A previous owner of a Variant I used to have soldered spigots into the air-cleaner above each carb which took a piece of polythene tube filled with some paraffin to compare the suction above each carb. That works brilliantly. You just adjust the two screws a bit at a time until it's balanced (level) at idle and stays level even as you accelerate. A tyre valve cap closes them off when not needed.

Obviously you do each mixture screw first - warm up engine fully then adjust each for maximum rpm and then slightly richer (maybe an extra 1/8 turn out) so rpm drops a fraction. You can usually tell if the mixture is reasonably OK, as the exhaust doesn't smell too bad! Don't sniff it for a long time though - no catalyst means a few % of CO comes out! Gunson make a CO meter (or used to), which is handy for checking.
Dave.

corndog

Re: Solex 32 PDsits, idle adjaustment????

Post by corndog » 17th December 2010 - 9:31am

Ah ha cheers Dave :D I'll let yo know how we get on later in the week :nod: