Oil cooler seals... still leaking!!!!!

Come here to ask for technical help and advice
corndog

Oil cooler seals... still leaking!!!!!

Post by corndog » 28th December 2010 - 6:34pm

Just built up the new engine but the oil cooler keeps leaking. First fitted with the spacer washers and standard (red) 10mm id seals, pissed out oil evrywhere just on tick over with the starter. Did the impossible (according to Haynes), removed the cooler with engine still in :thumbsup: removed the spacer washer, put thinner washers in there place and used harder green seals put it still leaks a little!!!! Are there special T3 seals out there as standard ones are no thicker than the 3-4mm spacer, surely they need to be to clamp/seal up? OIL SEAL used - http://www.vwheritage.com/vw_act_shop.p ... try_GB.htm
All original parts have used, did the same task with original spacers (i think) couple of years ago no probs, I'm completely stumped!!! Thinking of removing the spacers completely, not great as brings it closer to the head but what else can i do?????
Only difference I have done this time round is use an engine sealant, can't imagine that would be the cause of a leak

purplepeter

Re: Oil cooler seals... still leaking!!!!!

Post by purplepeter » 28th December 2010 - 6:55pm

I went through a similar learning/frustration process Ben,& ended up using the green seals with no spacer washers

corndog

Post by corndog » 28th December 2010 - 11:58pm

Cheers Pete, I think that's the "best" plan of action. I'll get some pics of the "rebuild" on here soon ;)

adamrush!

Post by adamrush! » 31st December 2010 - 6:20pm

ive just rebulit my engine and had the same problem, fired it up and oil pissing out the cooler! ive got a late case late cooler, put it back together as it came apart using the standard black seals and spacers, ive read on the samba i shouldnt be using any spacers?

will I be ok with the standard black seals and no spacers, or do i need thiner seals? are these the t3 ones gsf sell?

how hard was it to get to the oil cooler without removing the engine? really dont want to drop it again!