73 t4 bus carbs leaking Gas after engine stops!!

Come here to ask for technical help and advice
73Vdub

73 t4 bus carbs leaking Gas after engine stops!!

Post by 73Vdub » 9th March 2006 - 3:37pm

I had my stock solex 34pict dual carbs rebuit here in town at a local VW shop. When I installed them I noticed that they both leak Fuel from the throtle bushing....drip, ..drip..drip.
When I tool off the air filter to look down the barrell of the carbs, I can see the fuel jet dripping gas...drip, ...drip, ...drip.
When I first noticed the problem I drove my bus down to the shop that had rebuilt the carbs for me, and they charged me 40$ the next day, and said that it was fixed, they installed new needle valves in the float chambers of both carbs..
Well, two weeks later, and they are doing it again, and the shop says that my carbs are bad, and I need new ones.
before I spend the $350 on new carbs, I wanted to see if these shop guys are idiots and I can really fix them myself..

Thanks

Editor

Carb leaking

Post by Editor » 12th March 2006 - 12:19am

This forum is for the Type 3 and Type 4 VW cars, not the T3 (or T4) buses, but this can happen to our carbs too. If the carbs are leaking at idle I assume the fuel is coming out of the overflow pipe which goes to the float chamber, rather than from the accelerator pump jets.

I would suspect if they really have replaced the float needle valves, they have probably put the plastic float pivot support clips upside down, which is allowing the float to stay down too low, so the valve never gets shut off.

Afraid you can't get the staff these days!

Throttle bushings do wear, and can be rebushed at a reasonable price. Since they work in suction anyway, it's not usual for them to leak when running, but the mixture will be too lean, which is bad news in any air-cooled VW, and more so in a Bus.
Mine sometimes leak after a journey - probably heat sink from the engine making the fuel boil and spill out a little.

73Vdub

Post by 73Vdub » 13th March 2006 - 2:51pm

I haven't been able to meet up with any good type 4 bus people, so I appreciate your reply. The Fuel leaks only when the vehicle is stoped but I do believe that you answered my question. Its gotta be the clips that hold the floats, because there is no reason that the fuel would continue to drip down the barrel after the engine has been shut off...

Thanks again!

Editor

Carbs overflowing

Post by Editor » 14th March 2006 - 12:04pm

Sometimes when fuel hoses are displaced, they can shed bits of rubber into the pipe which might hold a needle valve open, but if both are doing it, that seems unlikely.
Hope I didn't seem unwelcoming - you Bus boys are keeping up the flow of Type 4 engine parts and mufflers anyway!
Good luck.