ignition switch

Come here to ask for technical help and advice
ganzaigeorge

ignition switch

Post by ganzaigeorge » 27th April 2006 - 10:59pm

got a 1972 squareback How do i remove ignition switch? Do i take steering wheel off/ then get to it? Also wheres best place for twin carbs rebuild kit ? Furthermore any proven/tested advice on fitting dreaded flywheel oil seal? [almost finished my resto rat .....bodywork restored in red primer..brakes almost rebuilt ..interior done..engine out and in bits...empi shifter empis with 195x50x15 185x65x15 empi shifter lowered 1 spline t bars ] thanks to any replies GEORGE
GANZAIGEORGE

miketyp3

Post by miketyp3 » 4th May 2006 - 11:46am

It's a bit late I know but... The procedure would be; Disconect battery, take steering wheel off, indicator switch assembly off, undo retaining cover with 2 screws, remove wiring from rear by pulling out the plug, Put the key in and turn to disable steering lock and draw out.

Mike.

Editor

Steering lock removal

Post by Editor » 4th May 2006 - 11:57pm

ISTR there's a small hole underneath in the switch surround that needs a nail or small screwdriver to push in a spring clip round the lock so it comes out.

Twin carb overhaul kit used to be available from http://www.gowerlee.dircon.co.uk/spares.html#Solex but they don't list it separately now - probably worth e-mailing them.

Flywheel seal: get a flywheel locking tool, or make one with a long bit of angle iron and drill a couple of holes to match clutch holes.
Get (buy or borrow) a 36mm 3/4" drive socket and bar and a 4-foot long tube to go over it. Don't mess about with footprint or huge plumbing grips.

Clean the area carefully and the back of flywheel - inspect for roughness. Smear oil in seal, tap in evenly (there is an installing pusher device but I did it without).
Reinstall the flywheel - tighten to 216 lb.ft. On a 4' bar, that's 54 lb on the end. If you stand on the scales and push or pull until about 4-stone (25kg) heavier or lighter, depending if the reading goes up or down, and you've got near enough.
Bit of grease on the needle bearing in the nut and you should be fine.