Problem with Changing Front Shock Absorbers

Come here to ask for technical help and advice
dubberclub

Problem with Changing Front Shock Absorbers

Post by dubberclub » 15th August 2011 - 8:44pm

My front shocks have been leaking for some time on my Fasty. The top bolt I have been unable to remove, so I have cut the top through the rubber, and for the same below, the inner sleeve remains on the botton stud, which is siezed on, yes lots of WD40 used but not moving even with mole grips, and the top one bolt and sleeve still their.

Thinking of using the Drimmel cutting disc to remove upper sleeve, so that I can use penetrating oil, so I can get bolt out, also thinking of using the Drimmel on the bottom sleeve. Or should I used a Butane heat torch to heat up to remove??

Jon

volkswalker

Re: Problem with Changing Front Shock Absorbers

Post by volkswalker » 15th August 2011 - 8:47pm

dubberclub wrote:My front shocks have been leaking for some time on my Fasty. The top bolt I have been unable to remove, so I have cut the top through the rubber, and for the same below, the inner sleeve remains on the botton stud, which is siezed on, yes lots of WD40 used but not moving even with mole grips, and the top one bolt and sleeve still their.

Thinking of using the Drimmel cutting disc to remove upper sleeve, so that I can use penetrating oil, so I can get bolt out, also thinking of using the Drimmel on the bottom sleeve. Or should I used a Butane heat torch to heat up to remove??

Jon
IMO id try the heat first i reckon that will do it....after you have heated it thoroughly give it a real good WHACK
with a hammer that should jolt it too....good luck
we dont stop playing because we get old.... we get old because we stop playing

Editor

Post by Editor » 15th August 2011 - 10:09pm

Do everything possible to loosen without breaking off the bolt - they are high tensile and take a lot of drilling out.

Heat is likely to be the best answer, but cutting the sleeve off - or at least weakening it so it can be split - is an alternative. I've had to cut and peel off before now.
Dave.

rob.teuke

Post by rob.teuke » 16th August 2011 - 10:39am

just put a pair of shocks on the front of mine, had to dremel bottom sleeves off int order to get a chisel in and knock them about and off, but my top ones were very tight, but i used lots of wd40 in the rubber itself, definitely try heat on the uppers first tho.