Late ghia bumpers the same?!

Come here to ask for technical help and advice
fastygaz

Late ghia bumpers the same?!

Post by fastygaz » 27th December 2012 - 1:28pm

Hi all,
Just checking if late type 3 bumpers are exactly the same as Europa style late karmann ghia ones?!
I've heard they're the same and now my car is finally ready for paint I'm looking at treating myself to some stainless Group Harrington bumpers!!
If anyone can confirm that they are the same I can get 'em ordered!!
Thanks
Gaz
If it ain't King James it ain't bible y'all........

Editor

Re: Late ghia bumpers the same?!

Post by Editor » 27th December 2012 - 5:32pm

All the rear ones are the same. On the front, 72-73 late ones are the same, but 70-71 fronts have square ends rather than the cutaway ends you need for body clearance on the Type 1 Ghia. Since sometimes they have been replaced, you need to make sure they have the taper edge (look like they've been sliced down and to the rear).

The stainless ones you speak of have been made for the Ghia, so they should have the cut away ends. They're a lot of money and lightweight compared with the originals, but it's hard to find good original bumpers, and rechroming will probably cost as much. They say they are painted black inside - I wonder if they can paint it aluminium instead, to match the originals?
Dave.

fastygaz

Post by fastygaz » 27th December 2012 - 5:44pm

Thanks Dave,
I'll get 'em ordered and when she's finished I'll get some pics up and let everyone know what the quality is like!!
I like the idea of a lifetime corrosion warranty!!
Gaz
If it ain't King James it ain't bible y'all........

Editor

Post by Editor » 28th December 2012 - 12:33am

I wouldn't rely on the guarantee - it's only good as long as the company keeps trading. It's a realistic alternative to sourcing perfect original ones, and probably no more expensive.
Dave.