Type 1 Engine in Type 3 Car?

Come here to ask for technical help and advice
Boardpaul

Type 1 Engine in Type 3 Car?

Post by Boardpaul » 3rd March 2013 - 10:53pm

Ok, I know from research that the blocks are different. I also think the dipstick is in the wrong place?
However if I swapped the tinware over would a type1 engine be ok in the square?
Reason I ask, is I've just spent a fortune building a 2007cc type 1 engine. This was going in the girlfriends beetle. It now isn't! I would like to utilise it if possible as it is brand new 0 miles.
I also have short race axles and a uprated type1 gearbox. Oh and a gene berg shifter. Would any of these be any use?
I know the axles would be shorter, but that may be beneficial if I run bigger wheels.
Any help appreciated
Cheers

Boardpaul

Re: Type1 engine

Post by Boardpaul » 3rd March 2013 - 10:53pm

Sorry I meant to post in the workshop.

jmarkha1

Re: Type1 engine

Post by jmarkha1 » 4th March 2013 - 7:58am

Do you know whether the engine has a universal case? - It would have a small cover plate over the dipstick and threaded mounts to the left and right of oil pump for the engine carrier.
The gearbox and axles may well work out nicely if your car has a swing axle gearbox currently rather than IRS.
If you supply some photos and details of your car, there are plenty of people on here that will advise...
The variant Project

Boardpaul

Re: Type 1 Engine in Type 3 Car?

Post by Boardpaul » 4th March 2013 - 1:33pm

Hi Thanks for the reply.
The car isn't with me yet, it's still in Oz. the only photos I have are the ones I have from the advert.
The case is an aftermarket case. From CB performance I don't know if its universal or not. I've also not got the engine at home so I'm not much help am I really.lol

Kai

Post by Kai » 4th March 2013 - 7:34pm

It worked fine for me. Would recommend getting a longer dipstick as its tricky with a short one. It's tricky anyway but it is possible to live with it.

Clockwork

Post by Clockwork » 5th March 2013 - 11:41am

Paul,
You would be far better off selling the 2007 to someone to put in their camper and buying yourself a new type 3 lump for the square.

If you need any help selling the 2007 lump you can either message me or on DBS ;)

Si
wenn es nicht luftgekühlt ist, dann ist es nicht cool

Boardpaul

Post by Boardpaul » 5th March 2013 - 12:33pm

Si, there is a lot of money in the engine. That's the problem. I will think about it for a while. Got some other things going on that will determine what happens.
Thanks guys

Boardpaul

Post by Boardpaul » 9th March 2013 - 12:21pm

Well, I need to find away of fitting this into the square when it arrives. It was going in the girlfriends beetle, however we have one split up.
It's a cb performance Ali case so I believe, it may, be universal. Depending how funds are by the time the car arrives I may look into turbo charging it as well. That was always the long term goal.
Cheers