Indicator switch repairs - how

Come here to ask for technical help and advice
adamvaughan

Indicator switch repairs - how

Post by adamvaughan » 28th March 2013 - 3:53pm

Hi Guys

I have a problem with the indicators on my 64 square. The work fine on one side but not at all on the other, there's just a very dim glow from the lights on the dash when I signal right.

I assume it's the switch since it works one way and not the other - does this sound right?
What should I be looking for when I strip it down and try to repair it? To be honest it scares me since I'm sure it's full of tiny springs that will instantly disappear when I pull it apart. Any tips? Would it be easier to try and get hold of a new one?

Cheers

Adam

gracie

Re: Indicator switch repairs - how

Post by gracie » 28th March 2013 - 4:18pm

Hi Adam, a few quick thoughts:

Is this a new occurrence (were they working fine previously?)
First thing to check is the earths, especially behind the front indicator. Disconnect and clean them all - in my experience this is invariably the most likely fault
Next thing is the indicator relay - it'll be under the dash follow a wiring diagram and if unsure if it works get a spare and test it (normally on Samba website)[/list]

Finally you can try the indictor stalk. Take your time to disassemble but I don't believe it looks too complicated - again they do come up for sale on VW Samba.

BW

Graham

adamvaughan

Post by adamvaughan » 28th March 2013 - 5:31pm

Thanks for the advice Graham

I'd assumed it wasn't the relay since the other side seems to work fine, what confused me about the relay is that there are seemingly only two wires going to it, so same connections for left and right(?)

I'll checks the earths - would one bad earth stop the whole circuit from working?

Car has been in storage dor a while, and they didn't work when I pulled it out again. I guess this could point ot the earths corroding.

Wiring makes my head hurt :?

gracie

Post by gracie » 28th March 2013 - 6:35pm

from memory mine is a three pin relay; but the storage and fact that it worked previously points to a poor earth. BW Graham

markthehat

Post by markthehat » 28th March 2013 - 7:15pm

as its an early one the indicator stalks are actually quite simple. only three springs and they shouldnt fly off when you take it off, mine didnt !! but yes check all connections etc first.

Editor

Post by Editor » 29th March 2013 - 1:13am

Could just be corrosion on the bulbs (unlikely to be both blown). I think there needs to be a significant current flow to get the relay to flick to the other mode. Does the 'idiot' light on the dash work for either side?

It won't be the relay - that's before the switch in the circuit.
Dave.

adamvaughan

Post by adamvaughan » 29th March 2013 - 9:18am

'Idiot light' works for the left side. I'll get busy with the emery cloth and contact cleaner today.

ballbag

Post by ballbag » 1st April 2013 - 11:05pm

Take the lamp holder out from the back of the clock dude. Lok on the front/inside and there's a small wire connecting the two indicator lamps together. It's got yellow sleeving on it. Check that's ok, mine did something similar, looking dull. The wire had started to break down, so I simply soldered a new piece in and Robert's your mothers brother. It took about 30 mins.

Remember to take a pic of where the cables went before un plugging them though and don't forget to disconnect your battery :)

adamvaughan

Post by adamvaughan » 21st April 2013 - 8:37pm

Turned out the fittings just needed a good clean. All working now, thanks for the help :)