Few Type 3 brake questions

Come here to ask for technical help and advice
nitro_warrior

Few Type 3 brake questions

Post by nitro_warrior » 26th May 2013 - 11:03pm

Found the source of the brake leak this weekend. The Master cylinder.
At present it's off the car and stripped. Seems ok and I have only had a cursory look at suppliers but am I better to get a seal kit or just replace it. Any thing I should note, or any good sources for new ones? It seems that I will need to replace with a LHD one but that hardly seems a problem.

Also a question about the low pressure lines to reservoir, I'm replacing the flexi brake hose. None of these connections had jubilee clips, but I guess they are probably not required, or was the previous owner just being a bit lazy?

Thanks!
VW Type 3 Fastback
2x Fiat Panda 4x4

purplepeter

Re: Few Type 3 brake questions

Post by purplepeter » 26th May 2013 - 11:17pm

I've never had much success rebuilding M/cyls! Most of the seal kits you'll find are in themselves 40-50 yrs old
New cyls are available from gsf etc,but as you surmised,LHD,so you'll need to put new (longer) Hard lines in.
Low pressure lines are, as you say Low pressure so no need for clips,but you Do need to make sure its proper Blue Brake Hose-Normal rubber will denature in a very short time

purplepeter

Post by purplepeter » 26th May 2013 - 11:18pm

If you Do want a rebuild kit, I have a feeling Miketyp3 might have some

nitro_warrior

Post by nitro_warrior » 26th May 2013 - 11:37pm

Cheers for that. I think I'm going for the new route. New master cylinders are expensive puppies though, oh well better that and to stop than to career in to a tree.

As for brake hose I have this from ebay. It claims to be suitable for brake fluid or is that not to be believed? If not where can I buy the blue stuff?
VW Type 3 Fastback
2x Fiat Panda 4x4

purplepeter

Post by purplepeter » 27th May 2013 - 10:23am

Blue hose can be got from all the major suppliers,But will be cheaper from places like demontweeks or Merlin motorsport.According to Machine7, the manufacturer has changed the look of it to make it now black!
If your stuff says its ok for Brake fluid, I'd go for it!

nitro_warrior

Post by nitro_warrior » 27th May 2013 - 10:30am

purplepeter wrote:Blue hose can be got from all the major suppliers,But will be cheaper from places like demontweeks or Merlin motorsport.According to Machine7, the manufacturer has changed the look of it to make it now black!
OK I will see what happens!
I was just having a look at Master cylinders are there any alternatives for different cars that fit? It doesn't look particularly specific. I'm just not used to spending more than 50 quid on a master cylinder!

EDIT
Further to that, any idea if this would fit http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0599196154
My car is a '71. What's changed from '71 to '73 sure most are advertised for all T3s, and stupid question, what's a 'Varga'?
VW Type 3 Fastback
2x Fiat Panda 4x4

purplepeter

Post by purplepeter » 27th May 2013 - 1:08pm

I've always known Varga as being the Brazillian manufacturer of Brake components- as opposed to ATE,lockheed etc
I've never heard of alternatives from other cars
Obviously the Bore & fitment ie bolt spacing are critical

Tris.

Post by Tris. » 27th May 2013 - 1:17pm

nitro_warrior wrote:
purplepeter wrote:Blue hose can be got from all the major suppliers,But will be cheaper from places like demontweeks or Merlin motorsport.According to Machine7, the manufacturer has changed the look of it to make it now black!
OK I will see what happens!
I was just having a look at Master cylinders are there any alternatives for different cars that fit? It doesn't look particularly specific. I'm just not used to spending more than 50 quid on a master cylinder!

EDIT
Further to that, any idea if this would fit http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0599196154
My car is a '71. What's changed from '71 to '73 sure most are advertised for all T3s, and stupid question, what's a 'Varga'?
Mate, look on Heritages site, its on there for £32. Save your self some pennys :) A lot of Heritages "dating" is in correct, 65-71 is just nonsense, dual circuit started from 66 (?), I'm sure this one is okay '66 to end of production, but I'm sure the more knowledgable will correct me if I'm wrong.
Always looking for Razoredge parts...

August '62 Razoredge
October '65 Fastback (Teak)
March '67 Squareback

nitro_warrior

Post by nitro_warrior » 27th May 2013 - 2:14pm

Tris. wrote:
Mate, look on Heritages site, its on there for £32. Save your self some pennys :) A lot of Heritages "dating" is in correct, 65-71 is just nonsense, dual circuit started from 66 (?), I'm sure this one is okay '66 to end of production, but I'm sure the more knowledgable will correct me if I'm wrong.
:thumbsup: Good spot I was on Heritage but I didn't realise there were more than one page on the t3 brake section :oops:
£32 is certainly more like it! Now I just need to work out what else i need for free delivery. Should probably get new inlet pipes and rubbers for the cylinder.
VW Type 3 Fastback
2x Fiat Panda 4x4

broady_6

Post by broady_6 » 27th May 2013 - 9:40pm

Rebuild kits have been coming and going from heritage for a while. I had been emailing them through most of last year to get some. Supply issues seem to be king, probably to make pele by new master cylinders. Although it's worth inspecting the bores because they do wear and scores, so a rebuild,kit may be a waste.

I know for my 944 no body makes clutch kits any more because they were getting so many people saying "I fitted my kit and it still leaks" most cases were down to worn bores and as such the kits were discontinued and replacement cylinders are now the standard offering.

But I digress
The sultan of swing