FIBREGLASS FRONT WINGS

Come here to ask for technical help and advice
peasie

FIBREGLASS FRONT WINGS

Post by peasie » 18th October 2006 - 8:13am

:D HELLO EVERYONE JUST STARTING MY RESTO ON MY TYPE 3 AND IT HAS FIBREGLASS FRONT WINGS ALREADY FITTED WITH ABOUT 6 NUT+BOLTS WHICH DON"T LOOK VERY NICE CAN ANYONE TELL ME THE BEST WAY TO FIX THESE ON WITHOUT THE BOLTS.ALSO IS THE BLACK TRIM PIPING USED ON BEETLES THE SAME FOR THE TYPE 3,CHEERS STEVE
the peaster

Editor

Post by Editor » 19th October 2006 - 10:02pm

The normal wing bolting system uses speed nuts - sort of clips that the hex-head self-tapping screws go into. I think the fibreglass is too thick for the original ones, so you may have to stick with nuts and bolts - however, put the nuts under the wing if you don't like seeing them. Grease the threads well or you may have trouble if you need to remove any time.

Fibreglass winds need earthing wires for the lights, which I guess it already has!

The trim is a complex mixture - the bit by the bonnet is like Beetle, but the top of the wing should be a curved top - I believe the London Taxis use similar (not identical) stuff - and the bit on the front panel is the same as the wing top.

miketyp3

Post by miketyp3 » 20th October 2006 - 8:26am

Woolies sell some wing beading sections that can be used.
http://www.woolies-trim.co.uk/wingpiping.html

Use 307 for the Bonnet and Boot / Tailgate jams + up the "B" piller on the rear, then 274 everywhere else.
You'll have to modify it for the top of the rear wings as that goes from a "T" section at the rear to a kind of "L" along the side.

It depends on the wing, but the speed nuts or "U" clips as they are called can be opened up to fit the thicker return flange.

I found them here on the web http://www.namrick.co.uk/browse.asp?PCID=25, but I have bought them before from my local Motor Factors and I think from IFS, the fastener suppliers.

Mike.

peasie

Post by peasie » 20th October 2006 - 12:53pm

:D thanks for info i"ve got loads to ask and i just hope hope you all don"t get sick of me,thanks again steve
the peaster

miketyp3

Post by miketyp3 » 20th October 2006 - 1:55pm

Not a problem. Anything that avoids working is welcome!

Mike. :D