Outer scraper chrome trim

Come here to ask for technical help and advice
adamrush!

Outer scraper chrome trim

Post by adamrush! » 24th September 2013 - 6:06pm

Looking to replace the rubber on my outer scrapers but status don't sell the universal rubber anymore, anywhere else where I can buy just the rubber?

Anyone tried fitting these?

http://www.coolairvw.co.uk/Item/Shop_by ... _Left.html

Cheers

Marko

Re: Outer scraper chrome trim

Post by Marko » 24th September 2013 - 7:07pm

you can use beetle ones with a little bit of modifying, that's what I used..
my 1968 Fastback Automatic build thread
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6896

Editor

Post by Editor » 24th September 2013 - 11:53pm

It's quite a job to fit new rubbers (or new frames) as you have to remove almost everything from the door, but there's nothing too tricky.

You may have to make new backing plates too. To be honest, unless your bright trim is near perfect, it probably isn't worth just changing the rubber, unless you have a spare frame with good rubber, which is not very common. VW used to supply Type 2 outer rubber on its own, which fits with trimming.

I would like to see how well modifying the scraper trim for a Beetle works. It's very hard to believe how any of the bright anodised aluminium trim can be reshaped without cracking the surface.

The job involves:-
Removing the door window winder, release catch, inside panel with armrest (separate if late 72 on), vapour-proof membrane, door window, main felt window channel, anti-tamper door lock cover (if fitted), quarter light, then you can take out the scraper frame! Reassembly is the reverse, of course.

To refix the new rubber, I used small pop rivets, drove out the mandrel remains and flattened the rivet further to ensure they couldn't contact the glass.

I was working on a 1972 (late 71) Fastback. There may be subtle differences on others (eg a less complicated door lock cover). You may need the odd spare felt channel clip - there's a tongue on them which slots in the door frame, and may get broken off if pulled out the wrong way.
Dave.

miketyp3

Post by miketyp3 » 25th September 2013 - 9:28am

I used Beetle trim for my Nutria Notch about 15 years ago when thete wss no alternative.
Apart from the upper rear corner, everywhere thats modified is hidden by a seal.
The anodise did craze slightly, but it was difficult to see unless studied closely.
I beleive I could have made a better job of it (the bend was not smooth enough) which I think would have reduced the effect.
My intention is to do the same for the project I'm working on at the moment as I have not heard anything nice said about the type 3 repros, but I will make proper formers this time.

Mike
Mike

64 1500S Notchback - RHD Sunroof
66 1600TL Fastback - Pigalle Interior
67 T346 Karmann Ghia - RHD Sunroof

adamrush!

Post by adamrush! » 25th September 2013 - 5:31pm

I have got good brightwork just need to replace the rubber on them, it seems you can not buy just the outer scraper rubber on its own for a t2, not too keen on using a beetle one, what's wrong witht the repro ones? Bad fit?

Marko

Post by Marko » 25th September 2013 - 5:48pm

well the ones I used had beetle part numbers on them and they fitted great (chrome wise), I don't remember having to force or bens the aluminium that much. I had to cut about an inch of the rubber scrapper down to clear the quarter light and also re-cut the little rectangular holes for the clips but that was easy with a Dremmel!
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6896

adamrush!

Post by adamrush! » 25th September 2013 - 8:01pm

Thanks marco I always thought the chrome was a different shape to the type 3 and didn't fit right, might get hold of one see how they fit!

Marko

Post by Marko » 25th September 2013 - 8:16pm

if they are it can't be that much as mine didn't take that much persuasion to fit!
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6896

Editor

Post by Editor » 26th September 2013 - 12:28am

The Beetle windows were enlarged in '65 ISTR - and I've understood the frames to get are the ones used with sloping quarter-lights, which would be why the rubber needs a trim, as the Type 3 ones have upright quarter-lights.

First one to try it let us know the finer details!
Dave.

purplepeter

Post by purplepeter » 4th October 2013 - 10:35pm

I now have a '65> beetle trim frame & inner scraper sat on my Dining table! I'll be tackling it in a weeks time.
Type 2 ones are cheaper,but only by a couple of quid,so I figured i'll try reshaping the beetle one, & if that fails,just rob the rubber seal off it
Watch this space!

s.unsworth

Post by s.unsworth » 4th October 2013 - 10:48pm

Good luck anyway but I messed about for ages trying to restore my original Type 3 ones. Even made new stainless steel metal backing strips. Riveted it all together and decided they were still crap. Ended up just getting new assemblys from VWISPWEST. They are good !

purplepeter

Post by purplepeter » 18th November 2013 - 11:27pm

On closer inspection Today, There are a few things against re-shaping the beetle trim in my case,given that my Old one was in pretty good shape, So I've decided to go down the route of detaching the new rubber & transferring it onto the old trim
Main differences noted were:
1)Original trim has 6 clips securing it to the door(under scraper rubber), New trim has only 4, & they don't align with the holes in Type 3 Door!

2) New trim is an inch or so longer at each end & would need trimming/reshaping

3) New trim doesn't have hole for quarterlight attaching screw

4) Holes in trim for felt channel clips don't align with door

5) New rubber is quite flimsy/thin compared to old & needs trimming by about an inch

See photos! : New trim is always on top

Editor

Post by Editor » 19th November 2013 - 1:56am

Thanks for the update on that, Peter. As they say, no smoke without fire, and I had heard it wasn't that straightforward.
Dave.

miketyp3

Post by miketyp3 » 19th November 2013 - 1:34pm

Thanks Peter, that's consistant with what I had to do back in 98.

I made new slots / enongated existing ones for the clips under the scraper, trimmed it for length - fortunutly the ends are hidden under the quarterlight rubber, so it didn't need to be too pretty.
When I bought mine they were stilll VW parts (altough probably mexican), I can't recall the rubber being particularly thin.
I can't remember exactly what I did with the felt clips, although I remember the felt used to sag a bit along the top of the door, so there were probably a few missing...

I'm still interested with anyones experiance of the repro ones, as I will need to do something when Notch project 02 finally arrives back from the bodyshop (not holding breath...)

Mike
Mike

64 1500S Notchback - RHD Sunroof
66 1600TL Fastback - Pigalle Interior
67 T346 Karmann Ghia - RHD Sunroof

purplepeter

Post by purplepeter » 19th November 2013 - 10:59pm

And then onto the inner scraper!
The New one comes with 4 clips & a felt/brush strip built in, but again, clips don't line up with Type 3 Door & are too big
Clips are fairly easily removed (Held in by a tang that goes through the rubber/alloy backed brush & then folded over amongst the brush)
Having dismantled the New Scraper, I laid the old one on top of the New, & drilled through the slots to give 2 holes in the New scraper for each tang of the "Wiggly wire", then joined the pairs of holes with a scalpel.
New scraper is a lot thicker than the New outer, but I don't think its deep enough to use as an outer