new here and some help needed.

Come here to ask for technical help and advice
cisco kid

new here and some help needed.

Post by cisco kid » 27th November 2006 - 10:16am

i'm a proud new owner of a 72 fastback that i have saved from the from the evil claws of the scrapyard. however, after finally getting the engine running, lights rewired and the brakes sorted, i now have a minor/major problem for its mot.
it has a complete fibre glass front end. everytime the front end is removed, and it was frequently for the rewiring of lights, the tube between filler cap and tank comes loose. how can i get something that will attach when the front end is on the car, i'm thinkin that i'll need to remove the front n/s headlight to attach the two bits.
its also, i think, a beetle fuel tank above the front axle.

Editor

Post by Editor » 27th November 2006 - 9:17pm

Hi - welcome to the forum.

I'm finding it a bit hard to visualise what you are having problems with - is it the metal filler pipe, or maybe the 2" diameter rubber hose? Does the front end open for luggage or just for maintenance access?

There are thin rubber bands between the hose and metal pipes to seal properly - maybe those have become lost. They are about 2" diameter and 1.5" wide.

cisco kid

Post by cisco kid » 29th November 2006 - 5:00pm

hi, the whole front end is fibre glass and is only meant (i think) for removal for maintainence. however the fuel tank and the filler cap are not attached. the fuel tank is from a beetle so it has a top/corner entry (as opposed to the normal type3 side/corner entry). i could easily connect the filler cap to the tank with some rubber hose and jubilee clip it secure at both ends but am unsure whether this would pass its mot. do the testers remove the front end during the test?

my log term plan is to weld a section of metal pipe from the tank hole to just under the bonnet, and then weld original fuel cap to the top of new pipe. then cut around the original hole in the bonnet and fit a flip style cover (possibly from a t25) to the bonnet. so that the front end can be removed by disconnecting the lights and not having to worry about having an open fuel line whilst working on the front end.

not sure if this helps or just adds to te confusion.
thanks
alan

Editor

Post by Editor » 4th December 2006 - 11:40pm

The MoT tester wouldn't remove your car's front end for the test. they only have to ascertain there are no fuel leaks around the filler cap (or elsewhere!).

You can fill up without removing the flip front, I assume! :lol:

Careful welding onto fuel tanks - some suggest you do it full of water, then it can't explode.

cisco kid

Post by cisco kid » 5th December 2006 - 10:28am

until i replace the current rubber tube that is connecting the tank to the filler cap i need to remove the front end to refuel( not a problem as car is off the road anyway and not going far), current rubber has a tear in it. getting replacement today. also got my mot man who is a friend to come round and tell me me what i need doin for the mot ................................................ brakes bled, and 1 indicator bulb on the front replaced!
:)