tow bar for my squareback

Come here to ask for technical help and advice
smp01

tow bar for my squareback

Post by smp01 » 13th June 2014 - 10:50pm

I am going to fabricate a tow bar for my squareback and was wondering if anyone has any info on how towbars are attached to the car.
I was thinking of using the bumper iron brackets and strengthening them and running the bars inside the bumper and having the ball from the towbar coming out the bottom of the bumper.

has anyone fitted a towbar before to a type 3 and how are they mounted, saw one on vwheritage for sale but the dont show it complete just in pieces.

purplepeter

Re: tow bar for my squareback

Post by purplepeter » 14th June 2014 - 9:41am

What Year of Car?

Lots of us have Towbars- As long as Your rear bumper mounts & the surrounding metal are in good condition, then it shouldn't be a problem. (might be worth whipping the rear wings off to check)

Generally, The towbars have a mounting arm that fits inside the Bumper Iron, & A substantial bit of steel between the two inside the bumper. Commonly, that's either a big chunk of Tube or Angle Iron- I think the angle type was only fitted to Later cars & I think the Angle type was UK fitted, Whereas the Tube type was German( That's pure speculation on my part)

Early & Late types have a difference, in that later ones have a kink in the mounting, whereas Early ones are straight

jmarkha1

Post by jmarkha1 » 14th June 2014 - 10:18am

I am fitting a towbar to my late square. The towbar uses straight tube between 2 lengths of bar that attach to bumper mounts.
The tube will need to be pretty substantial - 3mm wall with the side bars being approx 5mm x 40.
Let me know if you need any specific measurements - prob best built on car using tack telds then fully welded and painred off car - good luck.
Mine also has a flat bar that looks to attach to bottom of valance for downforce - will not be using this as I am only draggng a small westy trailer -
The variant Project

Editor

Post by Editor » 15th June 2014 - 1:21pm

The UK one that Dixon-Bate sold was bolted to the bumper mounts and carried forward to attachment points on the inner wheel arch. It needs to be removed to get the engine out, but supporte the tow better without the holes in the rear valance that the VW-approved one does. That has a support strut that bolts through the valance and has a heavy backing plate. The DB one does tend to hit occasionally when you go up a sudden ramp. The VW one has attachment plates with a curve on them (ie cut from flat plate). Unless you have the facilities to fabricate one, I would think a second-hand VW one is the better bet. Both need sound bumper mount panels - that's getting less certain for the cars these days! There are clamps for very small box trailers - some of those just have a single castoring wheel, but I've no experience of them.
Dave.

vwed

Post by vwed » 16th June 2014 - 12:31pm

Some pictures below of a German made Peka Type 3 tow bar.
These were officially sanctioned by VW and appeared in their accessory catalogues.

purplepeter

Post by purplepeter » 16th June 2014 - 7:35pm

Snap! Ed! Heres one the same
And the collection of brackets that came with it
Then Here's the angle type that was originally fitted to My car.. Unfortunately the previous owner hacked the hitch off with a grinder!

The Angle type would like a New Home... The other one is NOT for sale!
Though Ed's Might be,,, ask Him!

Editor

Post by Editor » 17th June 2014 - 2:41am

The problem can be to support the bumper along with the bar. Those collection of brackets are needed to re-create bumper mounts. ISTR the originals interfere with the towbar ends. I think the one I fitted originally didn't have the brackets, and I cut the bumper mounts to fit to the bar. You may need longer M8 bolts for the bumper mounts as the bar supports are quite a bit thicker than the original bumper mounts.
Dave.

vwed

Post by vwed » 17th June 2014 - 12:41pm

I no longer have the towbar, pictured above in my posting.

mjrpoulton

Post by mjrpoulton » 18th June 2014 - 10:15pm

Don't forget that a tow bar is now an MoT test item since 2012 I think!

Mark
Mark
1975 412LS Variant (built 9/73)
1972 411LE 2 door
1968 type 345 auto
1967 type 344
1972 type 145KG (type3 engine)

Editor

Post by Editor » 19th June 2014 - 2:20am

Not too much problem for us I guess, but new trailers have to be an approved design or be inspected from an engineering perspective (like the unique vehicle inspection for a buggy eg). I don't know how many accidents there are from unsafe trailers to warrant this tightening up, though. It's still the nut holding the wheel that fails in most cases!
Dave.

purplepeter

Post by purplepeter » 19th June 2014 - 2:54pm

As long as You stick to a 7 pin plug, then the only testable aspect is security of Towbar.. I queried it with My MOT tester in December.. His Check was less than the check I do Myself every time I hitch on to it.
It's only once You go for 13 pin electrics that the test covers the electrical side of things.

mjrpoulton

Post by mjrpoulton » 19th June 2014 - 8:55pm

It is the condition of the actual tow bar and it's mounting that I was referring to not the electrical installation. Home made bars may get greater scrutiny from the tester.

Mark
Mark
1975 412LS Variant (built 9/73)
1972 411LE 2 door
1968 type 345 auto
1967 type 344
1972 type 145KG (type3 engine)