Voltage Stabiliser

Come here to ask for technical help and advice
s.unsworth

Voltage Stabiliser

Post by s.unsworth » 21st July 2014 - 9:51pm

Please can anyone advise where the Voltage Stabiliser for the Fuel Gauge is on my 1972 Type 3 1600 Variant ?

Fuel Gauge shows empty on tickover but reads O.K at higher revs. I expect it is on the back of the Speedo, or the other Instrument but it could just be anywhere inside the Dash. Don`t want to start taking it all out if someone knows exactly where it will be !

Steve

Editor

Re: Voltage Stabiliser

Post by Editor » 21st July 2014 - 11:05pm

You don't have one! It's possible there's a poor connection somewhere that is sensitive to low voltage.
Dave.

s.unsworth

Post by s.unsworth » 22nd July 2014 - 11:37am

Dave,

Really ? I just assumed it had one I thought the only cars without a Voltage Stabiliser for the Fuel Gauge were a lot older than that, like our 1966 Beetle with the mechanical Fuel Gauge.

Don`t suppose anyone has found a drivers side bit of Type 3 metal Windscreen Trim yet, a Pair of Heater Pipes, or some Variant Rear armests ?

Editor

Post by Editor » 24th July 2014 - 3:31am

Those mechanical gauges were great! Accurate and read whether ignition was on or off.

Is the red light out at idle?
Dave.

s.unsworth

Post by s.unsworth » 28th July 2014 - 9:40am

Apologies Dave. I saw your reply at work but we are not permitted to log on to the club ( or any other ) web site from work.

Yes I think so but I`ll have to check. Not been out in the Variant since last week.

I was going to rob the Voltage Stabiliser ( I thought ) from one of the Beetle Speedos I have. It has a Fuel Gauge in the Speedo. I think it came from a 1966 / 1967 1500. This one does have a Voltage Stabiliser on the back. Probably why I thought my 1972 Variant would have one.

Steve

Editor

Post by Editor » 29th July 2014 - 1:15am

Yes, there was one on my '74 Type 2 bay. I think the later Beetle and Bay may have a lower voltage gauge and stabilise the voltage, but I don't know why that would be. The Type 2 had tubular fuel senders for some years, like the Type 3 but longer. The Beetles and later Type 2 had the swinging arm type sender. I don't know why that should be more sensitive to voltage variations, though, to need a stabiliser. Maybe it's a dynamo vs alternator factor.
Dave.

s.unsworth

Post by s.unsworth » 1st August 2014 - 12:48pm

Yes. Red Light is out on Tickover.