engine out from 412ls

Just for 411 and 412 stuff.
3nero

engine out from 412ls

Post by 3nero » 19th February 2009 - 5:57pm

i'm not much of a mechanic but seeing as my wallet is on a diet i have to do some things myself.
A few weeks ago there was a pop from the rear of my 412 and all the oil came out all over the road, right in front of a cop car that was just about to pull me over :badgrin:

heres the view that greeted me

the verdict from other club members was that my oilcooler needs attention. and that my engine had to come out :roll:

last august my 1.8 engine died and i replaced it with a 2lt van engine. It took 3 of us 5 days to swap the engines over. there is very little room in the engine bay and the gear box had to be dropped at the same time. and it was a real pain to line it all up at the same time as trying to put it all back together.

This time i found out the secret to the 412 engine removal.
It has a retractable driveshaft :oops:

if you lift the back seat you will find an access plate that gives you access to the gearbox.

here it is open

then you need to open the vissable cap undo the 15mm nut inside and remove the circlip holding the shaft in place (easier said) it took me about 4 hours to remove that evil circlip. There is a special tool called vw 796 for this job but who has one these days. :roll:

anyway here it is retracted

once the drive shaft was out the engine was a hell of a lot easier to get out :D

so now you know the secret of the retractable shaft 8)
I hope next time you need your engine out you don't have as much a nightmare as i did first time round ;)

EDIT:
BTW putting a van engine in a 412 is ok except for one small detail. Once the van engine is in the car it can't be timed, because the fanhousing on the van engine has no bung to view the timing marks, since last aug my engine hasn't run right because it couldn't be timed, now thats it's out of the car again i'm planning to swap the fanhousings over so this time i can time it right ;)
1977 Bay
1974 412ls

3nero

Post by 3nero » 21st February 2009 - 8:43pm

ok
so i finnally got the fanhousing off

this is what my oil cooler looks like

it looks preety clean and oil free.

same goes for the pulley seal

it took a while to figure out where the oil was coming from
but when i tilted the engine backwards and turned it by hand oil started to pump out of this hole

it's just above the engine mounts in this pic

the hole was above what i think is the oil preassure relief valve
but when i opened it this was all i got

It looks like something else is in there but how do i get it out ???

by the way don't bother trying to use a vicegrips and a euro to open the release valve ::)

use a big washer instead ;D

And while i'm at it heres a few more questions

My car has an electric fuel pump so the old pump is not used, but it's still there...
when i tilted the engine back the small pipe coming from it started to pour oil out..

is this some kind of overflow pipe or can i just blank it off ???

Next question
I found this spring when i picked up the fanhousing to tidy up for the night

anyone got any clue where it came from ???
it's not from the presure release (that spring was bigger)
i didn't remove it from anywhere
is it something to do with the air flaps on the fanhousing ???

I have tons more questions but thats enough for now ::)
1977 Bay
1974 412ls

Editor

Post by Editor » 21st February 2009 - 11:53pm

The piston should be in there - looks like the back of it. It should drop out. Have you tried a bolt that might bite lightly on the inside of the cup shape to let you pull? You could try a quick jab of the starter or turn the engine to get a bit of oil pressure to push it.

The oil from the fuel pump might be due to a damaged diaphragm. the mechanical fuel pump is worked by a rod that takes drive from the engine rotation. Maybe that's what happened so they changed the pump for electric.

There is a thermostatic cold/hot air valve on the Type 3 air-cleaner - maybe the Type 4 has something similar.
Dave.

3nero

Post by 3nero » 27th February 2009 - 12:30am

the spring was from the carb crossbar :roll:
it fell out when i wasn't looking. :oops:

I managed to get the relese valve piston out after a bit of fiddling with a screwdriver.

just got the engine back in today and took it for a spin, now i have sticky gears so i think i messed up somewhere because they fine before the engine came out.

Knowing my luck the motor will have to come out again :evil:
1977 Bay
1974 412ls

hernandez412

van engine

Post by hernandez412 » 9th August 2009 - 11:51pm

Do you have any pictures of the fan shroud with the hole for doing the timing, so I can fabricate or find one
Cheers Jim :D

shawn71

Post by shawn71 » 10th August 2009 - 9:03am

You will probably need to find one as it is a cast lump of something or other that has a rubber bellows attached to it that closes the gap between the engine and the cool fresh air vent at the rear of the vehicle and the fan housing.

hernandez412

engine

Post by hernandez412 » 12th August 2009 - 8:27am

Cheers Shawn, I'll have a rummage under my mates house to see if he has any. Good to see you engine article, the linkage bar spring is a little devil, It often Shows up in places that it shouldn't, It's gota be up there in the main escapee from the engine bay stakes :lol:

3nero

Post by 3nero » 28th August 2009 - 2:28am

sorry i havn't been online in ages :oops:

heres a pic of the fan shrouds

the green one is the car shroud and the silver one is from a van engine

the black plug is the hole for the timing (green fan) the silver one has no hole but can be drilled in the same place

1977 Bay
1974 412ls

hernandez412

fan shroud

Post by hernandez412 » 3rd November 2009 - 9:33pm

Cool, found one under my mates house, just gota find the plasic plug. Thanks for the pic dude :D

hernandez412

Re: engine out from 412ls

Post by hernandez412 » 30th April 2010 - 8:56am

Once again cheers for the pics have been very helpful :thumbsup: Any chance of a pic of your engine as it sits with all the tin and hoses in the engine bay. It's murder buying a car with a missing engine, I spend so much time head scratching wondering if I've got the right bits and where they go. Sorry assuming your engine is in now :ninja:
All the best
Jim