412 carbs?

Just for 411 and 412 stuff.
cookie

412 carbs?

Post by cookie » 12th August 2009 - 11:56pm

i have a 75, 412le estate on f1 its giving me so much trouble was wondering if i could put it on carbs, it looks like room is gonna be the major issue even with short manifolds, any advice would be good before i start spending money
thanks

Editor

Post by Editor » 13th August 2009 - 9:40pm

'75 would be the L-jet FI system I guess. Does it have the aluminium bumpers?

There's not as much expertise here on that FI system - it's not the same as the Type 3 and other Type 4s had. US import?

The 1800 engine put in UK Type 4s for 74 had twin carbs, but many have gone into buses now.

Any after-market carbs can be hard work getting right - jet sizes etc.

What is the engine code?
Last edited by Editor on 21st August 2009 - 11:53pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave.

cookie

Post by cookie » 21st August 2009 - 9:07pm

it a (w) so a 1700, it has steal bumpers the front has got head light washer jets, have spent the the last week try to get it to run properly, put a new main oil seal, clutch,injectors,cold start valve,throttle valve switch an pressure sensor an it wont even idle properly try to accelerate an it dies. don't no Wat else to do except put in on carbs.

Editor

Post by Editor » 22nd August 2009 - 12:17am

Sounds as if it should be the D-Jet system then, on a 1700 engine. Are the injectors yellow in colour? That would be D-Jet if so. That's the same as most Type 4s and injection Type 3s.

Most problems with FI are due to poor electrical connections. The components work pretty reliably.

Also, it is easy to suspect the FI, but it can also be ignition timing.

I would suggest you check the fuel delivery first - fuel filters can clog - and check the fuel pressure. I think the Type 4 has a T in the fuel ring to connect a pressure gauge to. If the pressure regulator is not allowing the pressure to get to 28 psi, it won't respond properly.

What manual do you have to work from? If you can get to see a Type 3 Bentley (VW of America) manual, that will help. There's a manual sometimes called the Complete Idiot Guide... which covers all 4 Types of air-cooled VWs. That has a section on checking through the FI system.

You may get some help on here, or by contacting Jane and Bryan Terry down in Kent. They are Type 4 experts and may be able to point you in the right direction. 01303840241 is the house number, but there was a workshop number (?) put out recently by Danny, I think. (Feel free to edit this, Danny).
Dave.