Hydrulic system

Just for 411 and 412 stuff.
adi #2

Hydrulic system

Post by adi #2 » 16th November 2009 - 11:03am

Well, the clutch master cylinder is leaking slightly from the front seal, and the brake master cylinder has gone a little 'soft'.

They both still function, and a flush bleed and change of fluid helped a little, but definitely a rebuild is on the cards soon. I think they will not need any machining, just new rubbers.

The question in, is it possible to get rebuild kits for these? I looked at the parts interchangeability table and it says brake master rebuild kits are unavailable and doesn't even mention the clutch cylinder.

Failing that, what do i do? Im sure another master cylinder can be made to fit if necessary (shame thers not much room there between the firewall and gas tank, or i would hack a hole through and fit a golf servo and master and run a 10mm copper pipe to the engine bay for vacuum). I guess clutch cylinders are pretty generic and almost any can be made to fit as long as you still match the master/slave ratio and the throw of the slave cylinder.

But i dont want to do anything drastic like that if its possible to just rebuild these ones.

Any ideas?
Death to FF!

purplepeter

Post by purplepeter » 16th November 2009 - 11:24am

viewtopic.php?t=317

i can also vouch for past parts ltd!

adi #2

Post by adi #2 » 8th December 2009 - 10:53pm

It seems that these components are rare, and the places that sell them, sell them for real money, and thats for people with real jobs. And also for people who can wait for the cylinders to be rebuilt and sent back, which i cant.

By the way, the chevette is taxed and MOTd now, but i hate it. Its on ebay. Maybe it will pay for some tidying of the 411.

Im going to go measure the throw of the clutch pedal, and see if i can make some master/slave combination from another vehicle thats easily available fit.

As long as the slave cylinder has sufficient throw to activate the clutch properly, everything else can be made to fit. If its metric, even all the pipe threads are likely to be the same.

Will update if i manage to come up with anything.

By the way, just so im not missing anything, in 411s the clutch is fed from the same fluid bottle as the brakes right??
Death to FF!

TYPE IV estate

Post by TYPE IV estate » 9th December 2009 - 1:18am

yes, the seals are still available to do a freshen up of the clutch slave and master, even tho all of them arent available. As for the brakes, you may as well buy a new master. I will look into it to see who to contact (the seals come directly from manufacturer, and are very inexpensive).

adi #2

Post by adi #2 » 9th December 2009 - 2:32am

I think unfortunately the bores are pitted, new seals will not help.

The brakes are kind of ok, a little low down, but some new fluid and a bleed will no doubt help as they probably have 30 yr old fluid.

But its the clutch thats nearly gone, and it feels like its bore pitting rather then anything else.
Death to FF!

TYPE IV estate

Post by TYPE IV estate » 9th December 2009 - 2:41am

because the 412 clutch master is unobtainable (at least here in canada) I installed a 1980 vanagon master cylinder. All I had to do was make a bracked from angle iron, shim it with washers, and bend the tubing. You could try that.

adi #2

Post by adi #2 » 9th December 2009 - 3:06am

Well, i was thinking of using one from a Polo, since i think they have hydraulic clutches sometimes? At least i found a listing for a polo clutch master cylinder, so i assume they do.
Death to FF!

Editor

Post by Editor » 9th December 2009 - 3:57pm

Ifyou're after RHD Type 4 brake master cylinder, Jim Bourne has some (I'm sure he hasn't sold them all yet). Probably around £60. 01273-400463.

For the clutch, you could ask him if he has any info, but may be able to find where to get a seal from if he can't help from Jane and Bryan. 01303840374.
Dave.

kps70

Re: Hydrulic system

Post by kps70 » 30th June 2010 - 6:17pm

For info, Jim's sold all of his brake master cylinders - so that he doesn't get hassled by people like me in future!
Kieron

Editor

Post by Editor » 2nd July 2010 - 10:15pm

Right. That should be about 8 Type 4s still on the road then that wouldn't have been!
Dave.

kps70

Post by kps70 » 25th July 2010 - 7:18pm

Just received my reconditioned brake master cylinder from past parts. It took them about two weeks to turn it around. £108 all in. They have inserted a stainless liner and put new seals, including the end cap. It's back in and now needs bleeding so can finally get the MOT done.
Seems like a good deal to me.
Kieron
Kieron