Fan belt issues

Just for 411 and 412 stuff.
adi #2

Fan belt issues

Post by adi #2 » 21st November 2009 - 7:23pm

Well, the 411 is alive and well and back on the road, which is very cool of course, but now a new issue has come to light.

Two hose clamps which were near the engine bay (to redo some fuel plumbing) fell into the tinwear and got chewed by the belt.

Luckily nothing major broke, i killed the engine and picked out the now very deformed bits of hose clamps, which were wedged between the belt at the fan pulley and the engine casing, so i could pick them out from the top with some needlenose pliers.

However, the belt now seems to be riding the fan pulley sideways. Its still riding the alternator pulley the right way up, and the fact that its at such a wierd angle on the fan pulley, would lead me to believe that its probably up side down on the crank pulley!

The fan was still turning and blowing air, so i limped it home, but the alternator lamp was on quiet dimly, so i think it must be slipping somewhat (and i guess the fact that the belt is all twisted probably dont help). It feels a little loose too.

I had a look at all the tinwear and it looks like you have to take half the damn car apart to change the belt. Of course, im sure thers a clever trick for doing them (there better be!).

Can anyone suggest how i go about replacing the belt? I dont want to take lots of stuff off if its not necessary.

And also, doesnt anyone know what belt it takes? It looks like a standard notched V belt, so i will just need the length i guess and i can go get a generic one off the shelf. Trouble is, where the belt chewed the hose clamps, it rubbed all the writing off the belt, so i cant turn it slowly and read the numbers off the alternator pulley because there are no numbers, only burnt rubber. So if someone happens to know off the top of their head what belt it needs, ill go get one before i start taking stuff apart.

Thanks
Death to FF!

Editor

Post by Editor » 22nd November 2009 - 12:51pm

Of course, the world renowned manual supplier, Haynes, does its usual trick of holding back on essential details, like alternator belt size, and barely even explains adjustment procedures, though it seems to come down to a spline-socket adjustment bolt (take it to your dealer if you've not got the spline tool - ha-ha!). This is found under a plastic cover apparently.

Looks like it's 10 x 965 according to GSF. Don't know why it isn't adjusting though - it seems unlikely it would have stretched that much.

I think campers used the Type 4 engine, so 021 903 137A might be a handy part number to have for the belt.
Dave.

adi #2

Post by adi #2 » 22nd November 2009 - 1:02pm

Im not sure what you mean when you say ''dont know why it isnt adjusting''.

Because i havnt tried to adjust it yet (or ever found where to adjust it).

Unless there is some kind of self adjusting system?

I think i need to pull the belt off and at least re-seat it, as at the moment its twisted. How do i do that?

I dont EVEN have a haynes manual, so im completely lost as to the belt removal and adjustment procedure.

Thanks
Death to FF!

Editor

Post by Editor » 22nd November 2009 - 1:11pm

I've a manual but no Type 4.

To the right of the fan there's a plastic seal. Remove it to reveal the alternator pulley adjusting spline-socket head screw that unclamps the alternator mounting so you can move it to tighten the belt - usual thing.

Manual says to take care with the splined socket-head screw as if they become damaged, it might be necessary to remove the engine to sort it.

Someone here probably has a spare manual - lots on E-bay if you're planning to keep the car.
Dave.

adi #2

Post by adi #2 » 26th November 2009 - 8:47pm

The spline socket screw thing on mine was totally loose it seems!

The thing im wandering about is, how are you supposed to remove the belt and fit a new one? I assume that that big cooling cowling thing will have to come off, so you can slip another belt over the pully?

Also, how do you tension the new belt? The usual way i always use is to put a big crowbar between the alternator and engine, and lever it till tight. But, on the type 4, only the alternator bolt is exposed, the rest is hidden under the tinwear, so how do you tension it?

Unless thers a way to get to it from underneath?
Death to FF!

Editor

Post by Editor » 26th November 2009 - 9:17pm

Sorry, I don't know if a new belt can be fed in. The adjustment screw allows the alternator to move up and down on the right-hand side - there's a slot on the bracket that the clamping screw moves in.

I guess you just move it until the tension is right - maybe you can lever something.

Sadly the Haynes really doesn't explain how to do it - typical! they say how to pull an engine apart, but not how to chnage the fanbelt!
Dave.

Rich&Em

Re: Fan belt issues

Post by Rich&Em » 20th July 2012 - 6:55am

Old topic - but in case someone Googles this...

Yes Haynes have held back on a couple of things - I have a Type 411/ Porsche 914 1700 in the back of my Type 3 Notch:

a) You'll be lucky to budge the alternator, even with upper bolt undone, without the bottom bolt loosened (thankfully a 13mm head, accessible from under the car). You'd have thought that the Haynes crew would have lexperienced this way back in time when disassembling Austins, Morris, Triumph etc.

b) Yes, you'll have to go through the complete faff of removing the cooling air intake cowl - or at least undoing three 10mm-headed bolts (esp. if a Wagon like this motor came out of) and pulling the cowl towards you to let the belt past.

Hope that helps
Rich

pmacs49

Re: Fan belt issues

Post by pmacs49 » 2nd May 2014 - 10:31pm

There is supposed to be a Allen key bolt in the top and you need to loosen the bottom bolt, I found hitting the Allen key bolt (a nut head on mine) took up the tension I tightened the 2 up jobs a good UN.