411 412 shared parts?

Just for 411 and 412 stuff.
Paul Hayward

411 412 shared parts?

Post by Paul Hayward » 3rd January 2010 - 7:37pm

I have a 411 that is rotton as hell, just got her as need a engine for my 412!!...what parts are interchangable running gear wise, front end, brakes etc?

ideally i would love to see someone buy her n restore her to her former glory ..all i want is engine and its pretty rotton!

just wondering what parts i can keep as spares for the 412!?

411 is a 71 ..i think....manual
412 is a 72 auto

any info would be great please!..........and if some one wants a rest project get in touch lol!

shawn71

Post by shawn71 » 3rd January 2010 - 8:10pm

Most of the running gear should be the same, however that said, early and late 412s have different front hub carriers to allow for the larger calipers and deeper offset on the disc.

The strut tops also changed on the very late 412s to the same set up as the super beetle with the asymetric 3 fixing bolts opposed to the three bolts being at 120 degree spacing.

I think that most of the body panels have slight changes too.

Paul Hayward

Post by Paul Hayward » 3rd January 2010 - 8:16pm

thanks for that shawn, the panels are different ( and rusted anyway) thanks for the info i will look into whats best to do over the next few weeks..Cheers 8)
Paul ..........

shawn71

Post by shawn71 » 3rd January 2010 - 8:27pm

Just thought, not sure of the years for change, but the clutch plates changed size as did the slave cylinders. But having reread your post this probaly doesn't matter :roll:

Probably other 'little enhancements' as well.

Any chance of some pics of the 412?

Paul Hayward

Post by Paul Hayward » 3rd January 2010 - 8:57pm

i will do a reders ride thread once ive worked ot how to post pics again......so long ive forgoton how to :lol:

i got the t4 from Gavin (stanford) on here,, theres some pics of it going back to the early ninties that danny posted on the t4 gallery page and Gavs got some on there too on the register page FDG393L and the 411 is on there too..SXA966K both white.. the 411 not changed much just a lot rustier sadly!
The 412 was restored to a very very high standard in the early 90 s and was stunning back in its day!..... it needs a new wing and few bits sorting inside like front seat torn etc but its got the basis of being a cracking car with a bit more tlc again! it looked like a well looked after car before the resto and have a album of all the resto work which was a nice suprise to get when the car turned up 8) .....come next summer it will be well on the way back to her former glory!.....hope to get the engine swapped over by mid feb..22nd would be nice as it can be my birthday treat lol!....gotta do some hours at work n got a week off from the 18th so cant see it happening this month..... hope so though :D

well pleased with it its so so solid!! some one has spent a shed load of time n money on her in the past , just 2 very very small repairs needed in the rear arches n a respray again ..job done enjoy.... cant wait ! Hurt my left foot badly few years back so auto for daily drivin is gonna be nice 8) 8)