really need an air filter elliment

Just for 411 and 412 stuff.
aircoolsteve

really need an air filter elliment

Post by aircoolsteve » 6th March 2010 - 11:35pm

hi. i'm using the 1800 engine with 36/40 PDSIT carbs. the air filter box is takes the square filter. can someone point me in the right direction to find a replacement elliment please. looked everywhere but no one seems to even list it.
many thanks in advance. steve

shawn71

Post by shawn71 » 26th March 2010 - 6:30pm

A square one is on e-bay at the moment with its dimensions

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AIR-FILTER-ELEMEN ... 53e059f45d

aircoolsteve

Post by aircoolsteve » 26th March 2010 - 7:30pm

thanks for that shawn but i have tracked one down via a special order from cool-air. cost me £20 as well so if anyone on here needs one, get in now while this guy on ebay has some!
you can get the other one easily but its about 10mm too high and you cant get the top on.
while i'm here, i need a couple of service kits for these 36-40 PDSITs.
they were fitted to 1800 variants and maybe the 914. they are in really good condition but the pump diaphams have gon hard.
steve

Editor

Post by Editor » 27th March 2010 - 12:46am

1800 twin carb Type 4 engines were also fitted to buses (from 1972?) I think before they went to 2-litre. May need a pinch of salt with that info though!
Dave.

aircoolsteve

Post by aircoolsteve » 27th March 2010 - 9:04am

hi dave. yes there were some busses with the 1800 but the interesting thing is that the part number for the element is moulded into the lid of the airbox. and that number always comes back to me as an injection motor.
the airbox is clearly for a twin carb set-up and really cant be mistaken for the injection version as you know.

with this airbox came the 36-40 PDSIT carbs. now i think that these were fitted to the 1800 type4 variant car and maybe the 914. its service kits i need for those but i cant even ID what car they were used for so at the moment i'm a bit stuffed for these.

pete has found some kits on the german ebay site but at £40 each its a bit outside what i can pay at the moment. goodness knows what the shipping would be. they serve two different models so that may explain why there are so many gaskets in the kit! bit expensive for a couple of diaphrams which is all i really need. i'm looking into the possibillity of using a pump diaphram from a 2.0 kit. it may be different but won't be that far out.

as i said to pete, i'm tooling up to make certain single gaskets/kits for various makes as its getting to be a bit expensive to buy the sets when all you want is a single gasket. if you have any sugestions as to what gaskets would be worth making let me know and i'll look into it.
steve

Jane Terry

Re: really need an air filter elliment

Post by Jane Terry » 23rd April 2010 - 3:06pm

I thought Jim Bourne had some but it has been a few years ago so he may have sold them all by now.