Key Blank Question?

Just for 411 and 412 stuff.
ARCANE

Key Blank Question?

Post by ARCANE » 8th December 2010 - 2:43pm

Does any one know what the Key blank code would be for my 1972 411LE Variant as I only have one key for my car that does both doors the tailgate and the ignition and all the ones i have looked at for bugs and buses are different???

I really want to get a couple of spares made but cant figure out where to get the correct blank and get them cut.

Any help would be greatfuly recieved.

Cheers Mart :D
"A BLIND MAN WOULD BE GLAD TO SEE IT"

WWW.DBS-VW.CO.UK

WWW.CTTP.CO.UK

Editor

Re: Key Blank Question?

Post by Editor » 10th December 2010 - 1:04am

If you can remove a door handle and read the lock code off the barrel housing, it will probably have something like VA 12-123 or VB 123 or VB 1234. The VA or VB is the profile. I have a code book that gives the depth of cut for each station, but you probably need someone with the cutting device to do the cutting anyway, and they will probably have the code book anyway. Trouble is that not too many places can cut them now to a code, but you should find someone who can supply a blank. i could send a photo of the profile if that's helpful, but if you have a key that works, it's the right profile!

For your '72 411 the blank is VB from 2nd May. (VA before then). You may have to compare the Type 4 chassis numbers to work out which side of that date yours is. (see the club Technical site for that info), but it should be marked on the door handle by the barrel anyway.

I didn't realise how complicated Type 4 lock barrels are compared with the Type 3 (which can only be put in one way round - I assume yours can work either way round).
Dave.

ARCANE

Post by ARCANE » 10th December 2010 - 9:37am

My key which seems to be the original has VB stamped on it but i was told by a few people that there was no such code and it would most likely be code M or R but im starting to think after your reply that they are just for bugs and buses. Many thanks for your reply i shall continue my search for a VB blank now. :D

WWW.DBS-VW.CO.UK

WWW.CTTP.CO.UK

Editor

Post by Editor » 10th December 2010 - 12:26pm

There isn't a VB profile for Type 3s, but there is for 181 and Type 4s and Type 48 (K70), as well as early Passats (Type 32), so you should find someone with them. The VW key blank number for Model 411 is given as 111 837 219 A (S91).
Dave.

purplepeter

Post by purplepeter » 10th December 2010 - 1:32pm

Which you can get here: http://www.vw-classicparts.de/

ARCANE

Post by ARCANE » 10th December 2010 - 3:06pm

Cheers Dave and Peter for your help really appreciate it, i can get them done on TheSamba aswell. So happy dayz i have been so worried about losing or damaging my only key i have. :D

WWW.DBS-VW.CO.UK

WWW.CTTP.CO.UK