Brrrrrrrrum

Just for 411 and 412 stuff.
BeeBabs

Brrrrrrrrum

Post by BeeBabs » 15th December 2010 - 3:53pm

Remember Barb had blown gaskets. That's all fixed and she saw Pete to get tuned today. Runs so much better and doesn't stink of fuel out the exhaust now, and ticks over gently rather than juggling me about and me having to balance the pedals. The bonus of paying a pro to do the job is he found out why the engine blew in the first place, the dizzy is broken. It was at 48 degrees at revs!!!! No wonder it went pop. He's set it up so that although at idle it's about 3 degrees it won't go more than 36 now so should keep it from blowing up between now and getting anther dizzy.

Editor

Re: Brrrrrrrrum

Post by Editor » 16th December 2010 - 4:35pm

That's a reminder to always check the advance when you set the timing. On a Type 4 that's how it's done anyway, so you need to work out where 32 degrees advance (which ISTR is the recommended max) is on the pulley, and put a Tippex or white paint line there.

I think the max advance on a Type 3 is about 40 degrees for a dual vac distributor for light throttle openings when further advance is generated by the venturi effect through the narrow opening between the throttle butterfly and the throat, but I don't think thre Type 4 ever had a dual vac distributor.
Dave.