thermostat

Just for 411 and 412 stuff.
kembiff

thermostat

Post by kembiff » 4th April 2011 - 11:03pm

After fitting the new pushrod tube seals to my 412 I discovered that there is no thermostat and no thermostat holder - I'd better jam my flaps open for now! Are these the same bits as in a beetle/camper or will i need to source some impossible to find and extortionate parts for my 412?
This is the bit I need ( i was wondering what that round disc thing was during the weekend, and cycling to work today I figured it out.)
http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=h ... 80&bih=804
Andy in Durham. Call round for a cuppa!

baby bleu

Re: thermostat

Post by baby bleu » 4th April 2011 - 11:27pm

hello,, the thermostat for the type 1--or 4 are différent for her dgr. but for the type 2 ,, it is possible adaptable,, if my memory is good for the type 4 we have need 175 dgr.fr. and the type 2 is 185,, confirmation for that,, you can look in the type 2 cataloge in your contry,, busboy,,example,, on the net,,or many oder place,, baby
patience and patience with a 412

shawn71

Post by shawn71 » 5th April 2011 - 4:12pm

The deafult position for Type 4 flaps is open Kieron
'70VW 411LE 2 Door Saloon, '71 Beetle and '78 Late bay

kembiff

Post by kembiff » 5th April 2011 - 6:27pm

Thanks Shawn - I'm not convinced about my return spring, which is not very springy! Could you show me a pic of your default position so I can wire mine open just to be sure.
Andy in Durham. Call round for a cuppa!

shawn71

Post by shawn71 » 5th April 2011 - 8:38pm

Give me a couple of days for the pic but in the meantime the bit that the thermostat wire connects to on the flap control bar is pulled forward (towards the front of the car) when the thermostat is cold as the thermostat is in its smallest form. As the thermostat warms up and expands it allows the control bar to rotate towards the rear of the car by the springs connected to this control bar which opens the flaps.

On the Type 4 if the thermostat fails, usually by splitting the bellows, it opens the flaps. Apparently this is the opposite to a Type 1 engine, at least that's what I've been led to believe.

I learnt this last year as I discovered that my thermostat bellows where knackered, split and permanently open, so my flaps were in the 'default' open position and on replacing the thermostat with a good second hand one, courtesy of Megabug, the engine warms up quicker and has been fine.
'70VW 411LE 2 Door Saloon, '71 Beetle and '78 Late bay