411 roof rack?

Just for 411 and 412 stuff.
Daz Max

411 roof rack?

Post by Daz Max » 22nd April 2006 - 2:04am

hi,back after a while,been baiting the practical classic brigade on their forum! god there's some really uptight people when it comes to the smallest mods! anyway,i'm after a roofrack as the dog (ridgeback.you know about these nick!) is taking all the luggage space.does any of the others fit,type 3 etc? or am i chasing shadows? :D

Nick Elzinga

Post by Nick Elzinga » 30th April 2006 - 7:58am

I honestly wouldn't fit a roof rack if I were you. The type 4 roof rack is a permanent fixture and every mounting point requires drilling a hole through the roof, which becomes a potential rust trap. Yes, I know one can take precautions, but even so. Also I would imagine you will have to remove the side windows and drop the roof lining to put the nuts on underneath if you are going to do this properly and the chances of tearing 30 year old window rubbers and 30 year old roof lining are pretty good. I don't know for sure, but I doubt whether these roof racks are held on by self tapping screws alone? Furthermore roof racks tend to create horrible droning noises at certain speeds and this can be really irritating. I would rather go for a regular removable twin bar roof rack for occasional use, or hire/buy a trailer if I really needed the additional space. There isn't very much height above a Type 4 Variant engine bay. Does your Ridgeback even fit in there? I've driven thousands of km with a dog in the car. Just remember that on that odd rare occasion when you have to hit the brakes hard you don't really want a 40kg dog standing at the back. The back seat might be a better option. Dog restraints are available in the USA. It's something to consider. Here's a link:
http://www.canineauto.com/champion.htm
Otherwise just type seat belts for dogs into Google and a number of sites will come up.

Nick

Daz Max

Post by Daz Max » 1st May 2006 - 2:45am

cheers Nick, i think you're right.i might just get a rack that bolts to the gutters.as for the dog belt link,great stuff! i will be ordering one asap.
your right about the weight thing,its a bugger when he jumps up,let alone hitting me in the back of the head at 50!
all the best Darren. :D