SP 2

Just for 411 and 412 stuff.
Robbiedunne

SP 2

Post by Robbiedunne » 21st August 2012 - 10:09pm

Hi all,

First time poster. I don't have a type3 or 4 but the Dad has a varient and we always had them growing up. We had plenty of them. I am how ever really interested in a Brislian built SP2 and have been looking for a while but they tend to be mad money. Anyone got any experiance of them? I know they are largely based on the type 4's and have done a bit of reseach on line. Just curious of peoples opinions really.

Robbie

shawn71

Re: SP 2

Post by shawn71 » 24th August 2012 - 5:10pm

I know that Jane and Bryan at Volksfarmers used to have one so they might be good to ask for any info on them, they are indeed a rare car though but very cool :)
'70VW 411LE 2 Door Saloon, '71 Beetle and '78 Late bay

alex d

Post by alex d » 28th August 2012 - 3:43pm

actually not type 4 based at all, besides the front end looks, they are brazilian type 3 based, which means something similar to a karmann ghia chassis (balljoints and swing axles) with a type 3 pancake engine, we had some of those imported here, not sure if any ever got to the UK?
P-R-N-D-2-1

Editor

Post by Editor » 29th August 2012 - 1:44am

Only a few. The headlight height didn't pass USA laws - don't know if they tried the UK at all. They were all hand assembled, about 100 a day, according to the VW Brazil production engineer I met years later at Wolfsburg.
Dave.

Robbiedunne

Post by Robbiedunne » 29th August 2012 - 9:04pm

Thanks for the info. They are more like the type 3 under it all. I have to say I love'em they are just cool and one of the only steel bodied sports cars made by VW in brazil.

Jane Terry

Post by Jane Terry » 27th November 2012 - 2:21pm

We sold ours a couple of years back to someone up North of the country. The only problem we had which made it really awkward was the piston ring size on the scraper ring. Ours was badly worn that it affected exhaust emmissions and with not being able to locate one we could not afford time with it stuck on the ramp. The headlights were another bug bear as they were an unusual sealed beam unit no longer available. It is a lovely car to drive and we still miss it. Some of the steering parts is actually Beetle. We sold it for what we paid for it a few years earlier but it did need work the bodywork was starting to deteriate and we could not find time to keep on top of it. Its a shame but thats life of a car. Hopefully whose brought it has the time, money and perseverance to locate what is needed.