Air Scoops

Just for 411 and 412 stuff.
BluEyzDave

Air Scoops

Post by BluEyzDave » 19th September 2006 - 10:19pm

My mechanic wanted to know if there were any dealership optional side airscoops for the 411 wagon. They would go on the vents on the fenders.

david

Editor

Type 4 airscoops?

Post by Editor » 20th September 2006 - 7:44pm

Now why would you want to spoil the clean lines of a Type 4 with air scoops? They're something the USA dealers seem keen to add to Type 3s and Type 4s - probably to make a bit more dough from the owner - but no-one in Europe seems to use them!

BluEyzDave

Post by BluEyzDave » 21st September 2006 - 2:15am

I am against the idea of that, but my mechanic said he could make it real nice. He said that he had to adjust things in the engine because of the single carb that someone put on it, and having more air enter the engine could make it run better than it does now. But, I am against all that kinda add on stuff like that.

Pine

Post by Pine » 21st September 2006 - 11:45am

If you think of the theory behind it, adding an air scoop actually decrease the area the air must go through into the engine! Saw what I thought looked pretty much like factory accessories, air scoops on a Type 3 in a scrap yard earlier this week. Haven't ever seen Type 4 scoops, though..

Editor

Air scoops

Post by Editor » 21st September 2006 - 4:27pm

If you want supercharging for the car, you should get the proper system!

One carb? - is this the abomination that sits under a washing-up bowl in a cut out in the engine cover?
Thank goodness we never went in for that over here.

I assume it wasn't the same mechanic who couldn't sort out the FI? Shame that was ever removed - more flexible, better low-end performance, keeps in adjustment longer.

BluEyzDave

Re: Air scoops

Post by BluEyzDave » 21st September 2006 - 10:38pm

Editor wrote: One carb? - is this the abomination that sits under a washing-up bowl in a cut out in the engine cover?
Thank goodness we never went in for that over here.

I assume it wasn't the same mechanic who couldn't sort out the FI? Shame that was ever removed - more flexible, better low-end performance, keeps in adjustment longer.

Yeah, that's it. And no, it is not the same mechanic. I don't know who cut up the engine lid.