Once again, one more thing.. to keep me off the road.

Just for 411 and 412 stuff.
jonny rock

Once again, one more thing.. to keep me off the road.

Post by jonny rock » 16th March 2014 - 1:30pm

Hi all,

411Le Variant.1971. FI

Right. All's been super sweet for about a week of being back on the road. Then on Thursday last week started misfiring.
Narrowed it down to plug number two. So, took the this as a sign to change all relevant stuff and service.
Plugs, plug caps, leads, rotor, dizzy cap etc.

Fired her up and the same. Plug number two.

So, with car was running pulled plug cap off spark plug, no difference.
But did notice that if I hold plug cap just above top of spark plug it is making perfect contact and runs as good as she did a week ago.

So, if holding plug lead/cap above spark plug runs fine. If connected to spark plug, misfiring.

Swopped leads, plug cap and all the obvious stuff. Checked connections on injectors. All good.

And no I don't want to get rid of the FI system before someone says it.

Could this be a trigger point problem?

Any ideas, suggestions welcome.

Many thanks, Jon

shawn71

Re: Once again, one more thing.. to keep me off the road.

Post by shawn71 » 17th March 2014 - 4:25pm

The trigger points in the bottom of the distributor only control the injector timing nothing to do with ignition.

Could be something as stupid as a dodgy lead, not all new ones are good I've found out. Or could it be arcing out somewhere else? Try running in the dark and see if you spot the tell tale blue arcing of a short...

Must be something simple and once found you'll kick yourself...been there more than once myself!
'70VW 411LE 2 Door Saloon, '71 Beetle and '78 Late bay

jonny rock

Post by jonny rock » 17th March 2014 - 8:15pm

Hi Shawn, thanks for reply. I posted this in the workshop bit as well.
This is the conclusion...

''Quick up date.
So after swopping over spare set of trigger points, no difference. :(
Went to local parts place and for the third time since Friday, swopped over new dizzy cap, rotor.
Forgot to mention, I have a electronic ignition module. No points.
Checked plugs, plug caps, plug leads put on a spare coil. No difference. :(
Made the executive decision to go for a blast around the block, 'all in' as they say. About half a mile.

Well blow me if she didn't smooth out and behave. :D No misfire, no rattling and no jet fighter noises.

Whatever was causing the problem has gone. Maybe a blocked injector on No. 2? And me giving her a damn good thrashing round the block helped.

I will do a pressure test tomorrow just to make sure that all cylinder are fine.

Fingers crossed.

Only got to sort out my indicators now. Only working on offside. Think its the relay......

Thanks Jon''

So sort of sorted its self out some how. Till the next time eh.

Any thoughts on why my indicators not working. Offside good. Nearside not working. hazards working both sides. I can hear the relay clicking on offside and a faint clicking on nearside but no indicators. I'm thinking relay?

Cheers Jon

937carrera

Post by 937carrera » 17th March 2014 - 9:37pm

On the indicators, I would suspect a poor contact on the indicator stalk or hazard flasher unit, rather than a faulty relay. If it's working on 4 way flash and offside indicators, the only difference I can see from looking at the '72 current flow diagram is that for the nearside there is a different contact on the hazard flasher switch that carries the voltage from either the indicator switch or the hazard switch to the bulbs.
David
1974 412LS Variant
1973 412LE 4 door Fastback / Saloon

jonny rock

Post by jonny rock » 17th March 2014 - 10:26pm

Thanks David, again.
Will wiggle a few wires when I get chance.
Thanks

shawn71

Post by shawn71 » 19th March 2014 - 7:15pm

As David has already said just also be aware that it is not unheard of for the relays etc to fill with water due to their location and the front window seals not being the best in the world. Good luck on fixing the problem
'70VW 411LE 2 Door Saloon, '71 Beetle and '78 Late bay