Electric Power for a type 4?

Just for 411 and 412 stuff.
kps70

Electric Power for a type 4?

Post by kps70 » 21st April 2014 - 5:59pm

Hi,
I have not been on this forum for ages! Lots happening with work, Bulgarian house project, type 2 Devon restoration etc etc.
Two years ago I bought a Mitsubishi i-miev fully electric car and it's been a revelation. That's another story.
However, the USA has plenty of examples of electric motor conversions for beetles and even some type 3's. This sort of project would combine my love of the type 4 with EV's. What about an electric type 4!?
I have just resprayed my white 411 variant and after some more welding underneath it will be ready for an mot almost 3 years after it went off the road!!! I am either going to sell it to help fund the type 2 resto which is 75% done and give me more time to finish the long awaited 412 4 door project or maybe, just maybe turn it into an EV....
What does everyone think?
Batteries in the front to even out weight distribution. Eberspacher for heat/demisting.
I have done lots of research into this and the type 4 variant seems an ideal candidate! Effectively the motor bolts right on to the gearbox. Out go the smelly engine, exhaust infernal FI system, dangerous high pressure fuel lines etc etc.
Kieron

davidoft

Re: Electric Power for a type 4?

Post by davidoft » 22nd April 2014 - 7:11pm

I was thinking about this on my bay, the kits are quite expensive though