Classic car show at the Birmingham NEC this weekend.......

Where to go to see Type 3 and Type 4 VWs
Danny Lord

Classic car show at the Birmingham NEC this weekend.......

Post by Danny Lord » 11th November 2013 - 8:50pm

Got a Notch? www.facebook.com/groups/327056744047848/

George

Re: Classic car show at the Birmingham NEC this weekend.....

Post by George » 18th November 2013 - 4:55pm

I did go! My dad has a couple of Jowetts so we went to help on the Jowett Car Club stand. It was a great show with halls of outstanding classic cars, however I was very disappointed that not a single type 3 or 4 was in the show. Splitscreen van club were there, and VWOC were there with a number of Beetles, a beach buggy and a type 1 Karmann Ghia.

It’s a bit rich me saying this as I have to embarrassingly admit :oops: - I’m not currently a club member (I will get a revised subscription in the next few weeks honest!), but it would be good to see a type 3&4 club car stand there with a notch, square, fasty and 411 and 412???

Editor

Post by Editor » 19th November 2013 - 1:44am

You really need locals to organise this, or the costs of accommodation go mad. I don't know what the stands cost. It's costing £600 to have a stand for the Flying Show at the end of the month, and that's just the stand, not the cost to drive there, stay for a couple of nights and drive home. Currently we're really a web-based club with open access.
Dave.

Danny Lord

Post by Danny Lord » 19th November 2013 - 6:28am

George wrote:I did go! My dad has a couple of Jowetts so we went to help on the Jowett Car Club stand. It was a great show with halls of outstanding classic cars, however I was very disappointed that not a single type 3 or 4 was in the show. Splitscreen van club were there, and VWOC were there with a number of Beetles, a beach buggy and a type 1 Karmann Ghia.

It’s a bit rich me saying this as I have to embarrassingly admit :oops: - I’m not currently a club member (I will get a revised subscription in the next few weeks honest!), but it would be good to see a type 3&4 club car stand there with a notch, square, fasty and 411 and 412???

Did you not see the Type 34 ghia on display? :) I am thinking about having a display there next year if they will have us, would be cool to have at least one of each Type 3 and 4 there :)

you have to be set up on the Thursday ready for the public on Friday and out by Sunday evening, so if anyone is generally interested in displaying, please let me know, Jordan Bond who has a Fastback has already said he's up for it, my Notchback is only 5 miles away from the NEC so can easily get that there :)

Danny Lord

Post by Danny Lord » 19th November 2013 - 6:29am

Editor wrote: I don't know what the stands cost.

it's free :) plus I think you get two entry tickets :)

George

Post by George » 19th November 2013 - 1:22pm

Ah yes - I now remember the type 34! If anyone’s up for a show stand next year I would be happy to help out if needed.

miketyp3

Post by miketyp3 » 19th November 2013 - 1:41pm

I don't think its free, but I can check.
My motorcycle owners group usually have a stand (in fact my bike was there last year!), but they missed out this year due to the new orgainisers cutting back on the motorcycle show space.

I seem to remember £400, but we had plenty of passes.

It probably depends on how much space you have, and how much they want you there...

Mike
Mike

64 1500S Notchback - RHD Sunroof
66 1600TL Fastback - Pigalle Interior
67 T346 Karmann Ghia - RHD Sunroof

Danny Lord

Post by Danny Lord » 19th November 2013 - 1:51pm

I spoke to one of the guys from the split screen van club, was sure he said it was free! if you could find out Mike that would be cool :-)

miketyp3

Post by miketyp3 » 19th November 2013 - 2:18pm

I can do, but it might be best to make enquiries direct. It sounds like they want to get rid of the bikes, so maybe the rates aren't comparable.
As a club it was useful to display there, not only for raising awareness / new members etc, but also as a great way for people to meet. Although we are the local branch, its an international club so people come from all over and have a chance to actually talk face to face - I think they rather regret not pulling their fingers out and getting a stand this year...
Mike

64 1500S Notchback - RHD Sunroof
66 1600TL Fastback - Pigalle Interior
67 T346 Karmann Ghia - RHD Sunroof

Editor

Post by Editor » 20th November 2013 - 12:11am

I think there's a car clubs area which is sponsored, but I don't know on what basis you can get space there. The dealers and autojumble are certainly pay spaces - big money, too!
Lancaster Insurance sponsor the show, but there may be others like Classic Car Magazine that do.

I found this on the site (look for pink Morris 1000 (1,000000?):-

Your club at the next show?

Hundreds of classic car clubs display cars, sell regalia and sign up new members at the show (and have a great time to boot!). Applications for the 2013 Show have now closed, but if you're in a club and you're interested in taking part in 2014, please email Alison@inovent.co.uk .

Worth an enquiry anyway.
Dave.

Danny Lord

Post by Danny Lord » 20th November 2013 - 6:21am

Editor wrote:I think there's a car clubs area which is sponsored, but I don't know on what basis you can get space there. The dealers and autojumble are certainly pay spaces - big money, too!
Lancaster Insurance sponsor the show, but there may be others like Classic Car Magazine that do.

I found this on the site (look for pink Morris 1000 (1,000000?):-

Your club at the next show?

Hundreds of classic car clubs display cars, sell regalia and sign up new members at the show (and have a great time to boot!). Applications for the 2013 Show have now closed, but if you're in a club and you're interested in taking part in 2014, please email Alison@inovent.co.uk .

Worth an enquiry anyway.
Thanks Dave :)

Wireless

Post by Wireless » 5th December 2013 - 2:11pm

Well, I have a Type 3 Variant and a 412 LS Variant, I hope to have both on the road, but neither is restored, they are daily drivers, I might be interested in bringing one of them if you're desperate to fill a space.
73 de Wayne M5WJF

'73 Type 4 412 LS Variant (UK Reg '74)