my new 68 squareback

Post your Type 3 Photo URLs here
MATTT

my new 68 squareback

Post by MATTT » 2nd June 2009 - 4:50pm

hi all just joined
been waiting for this car to come up for 2 yrs
picked it up at the weekend

its been in a garage on blocks for 21yrs,was owned by the guy i bought it from new

found 4 small areas of rust ro repair so far but its porbably not going to need a repaint which is handy
body damaged on passenger side but ive also been given a door and rear wing to fit
just want to get the engine and brakes sorted 1st so i can move it about

paulbugman

Post by paulbugman » 2nd June 2009 - 5:25pm

that is sweet as ,keep it original as looks great

Danny Lord

Post by Danny Lord » 2nd June 2009 - 6:29pm

Thats 8)

Welcome to the forum :)

keep us updated on what you do to it,

Danny.
Got a Notch? www.facebook.com/groups/327056744047848/

ed

Post by ed » 7th June 2009 - 5:52pm

Make sure you get it mopped so it's shiny. Makes such a difference having original and buffed paint :D

Paul Hayward

Post by Paul Hayward » 9th June 2009 - 6:21pm

wow!!

All good things come to those who wait eh! 8) 8) 8)

Its not a auto is it

See you at some shows with your shiny paint eh :D

MATTT

LITTLE BIT OF PROGRESS

Post by MATTT » 9th June 2009 - 7:53pm

took the fuel tank out and found about 5cm of black tar in the bottom of it,so its currently at feltham rads being cleaned and refurbed
the fuel line was perished and blocked,wasnt sure on the size so bougt some 8mm fuel line tonight
the front brake lines ive just made up in copper and fitted today the front rubber brake hoses look perfect and are still flexible so i will try those,not sure if the front calipers are any good yet

still not managed to get the rear hubs off as the adjusters are seized and the shoes are binding on the drums

i guess looking at the tank i might have to strip the carbs

Editor

Post by Editor » 9th June 2009 - 8:49pm

From late 60's 7mm was used for tank fuel lines and at the rear there was a reducing sleeve for carbed models. 5/16" Goodyear rubber with reinforcement works well on tank to tunnel, and all fuel injection lines, though there are a couple of places where this is too large to fit through tinware holes with the grommet. Apart from the tunnel and tank line, nominal original for twin carb is 5mm, but this is pretty tight, and 5.5mm is easier and doesn't fail so easily where it's stretched over the pipe.

Modern versions of the original style cloth covered hose have a bad reputation. I like the proper cloth-covered stuff - a fuel leak wicks along the cloth and evaporates - I reckon it's safer than the drip you get from a leaking rubber hose that runs along the tinware looking for a source of ignition!
Last edited by Editor on 10th June 2009 - 12:03am, edited 1 time in total.
Dave.

MATTT

fuel lines

Post by MATTT » 9th June 2009 - 10:01pm

hi there
thanks fo the information

i will try the non covered line for the front section from the tank to the metal fuel line
but now after reading your post i will get some cloth covered pipe for the rear section,i never knew the cloth was used for that purpose,but i guess the front tank section,even if it did develop a leak,has no source of ignition so should be safe enough without a cloth covering
the place i normally go to for parts is a handy old style motor facotrs , but he hasnt any cloth covered fuel lines available

Editor

Post by Editor » 10th June 2009 - 12:07am

It seems hard to find the cloth covered stuff anywhere, and I don't have a lot of faith in it after the rubbish that has been sold. Bear in mind that quality will probably be close to £5 a metre. Maybe someone can vouch for a particular supplier of known good cotton-braided hose.
Dave.

paulbugman

Post by paulbugman » 10th June 2009 - 7:58am

try here as been told good for a lot of hoses , not been there myself yet but will do when want something http://www.thinkauto.com/acatalog/Locate_Us.html

MATTT

hoses and stuff

Post by MATTT » 25th June 2009 - 8:59pm

found a plce called unity motor factors that have teh braided rubber hose in stock in byfleet in case anyones after any

fitted the new fuel lines and refitted the freshly cleaned out tank
out an in line filter at the carb end and blew the solid petrol line out with some fuel and an airline

it started pretty much straight away and ticks over really nicely :)
1st running for 21yrs so well chuffed

got the new brake lines in made out of copper and new rear wheels cylinders and unseized the adjusters
new calipers on this week and then try to unstick the clutch !

ill post some more pics up if anyone wants to see the interior etc

kyle

Post by kyle » 26th June 2009 - 12:40am

Editor wrote:It seems hard to find the cloth covered stuff anywhere, and I don't have a lot of faith in it after the rubbish that has been sold. Bear in mind that quality will probably be close to £5 a metre. Maybe someone can vouch for a particular supplier of known good cotton-braided hose.
well i know no1 on here lives near me but there a place in coventry called elliots i think they do it cus the hav a traders shop called oscotts n they do it and they sell the same things jus oscotts is for traders (n i get in on my dads account) and elliots is open to the public (but as my dads got an account with oscotts i get it as trade!) but i dont like that crappy cotton braided hose, its so poo! i had it on my bug n it had to go! so i got some of that really fat fuel hose with the string moulded in it and the rite size hole in n its much much better. its like the stuff they use on new cars
67 fastback
65 bug
KNOWLEDGE IS POWER!!

Editor

Post by Editor » 26th June 2009 - 12:54am

We agree - the modern cotton-covered stuff is rubbish. I have to buy the internally reinforced Goodyear stuff - made in USA. It's a bit thicker than is ideal for some grommets.

VW did supply 5.5mm (carb engine) in a thinner rubber version - lovely stuff, but they wanted £10 a metre. then a year or so later said it was only available by the complete reel (I guess they didn't service many carb models by then, so wouldn't stock it).

I did find pre-packed cotton stuff in Halfords, but haven't tried it out - it's emergency only.
Dave.

MATTT

Re: my new 68 squareback

Post by MATTT » 26th September 2013 - 4:29pm

heres the latest photographs of it
couple more things to do but its up and running MOTd and im using it everyday at the moment

Creationblue

Post by Creationblue » 26th September 2013 - 5:31pm

Lovely 8)
Way out west

http://cjmotors.info

http://www.solutionselectrical.co.uk

'67 Square
'70 Earlybay

937carrera

Post by 937carrera » 27th September 2013 - 6:40pm

Well, that looks really nice & untouched original :thumbsup:

Has it really taken 4 years to get her on the road ? - thanks for posting
David
1974 412LS Variant
1973 412LE 4 door Fastback / Saloon

NickBab

Post by NickBab » 27th September 2013 - 9:31pm

That's awesome

MATTT

Post by MATTT » 28th September 2013 - 10:16pm

Yeah well Its taken 4 yrs but I guess it's just been I've been in no rush and I've been doing it at work if I get some spare time.im sure I could have done it in a year if I had to.
I did end up getting it painted in the end though as the original paint was tired and I wanted it to look shiny!
I've fitted the last chrome strip today and it's just great to be driving it about.
I'm still not really wanting to sell it to be honest,but I've bought a bay and I've never had a t2 before .

937carrera

Post by 937carrera » 28th September 2013 - 10:50pm

Well the paint job looks really original. What type of paint has been used ? I'm thinking of getting mine redone, and I want it to look original, but haven't a clue if cellulose type paints are even available now, I understand most paints have had to go towards water based, but it's not an area I have looked at yet

Don't worry about the 4 years, being new round here I just picked up on the gap between the posting dates, some restores take 10 years or more, let's see how mine's doing in another 9 :D
David
1974 412LS Variant
1973 412LE 4 door Fastback / Saloon

MATTT

Post by MATTT » 29th September 2013 - 8:11am

It was done in 2pk not the new water based ones as they need to be lacquered
I did try to get some of the 1k acrylic it was painted in when new but couldn't find a supplier
The local bodyshop supplier I use just mixed it up on site
If you wanted to paint it yourself you can still buy cellulose but will have to shop around,it's not as hard wearing a finish but easier to apply and not so toxic .some say it's more original to look at than 2 pack

Gemski

Post by Gemski » 15th November 2013 - 11:29am

That is incredibly beautiful!

unclemoom

Post by unclemoom » 6th June 2014 - 12:36pm

Just needs a tickle with the lowering stick!
Nice car.
Die Schwarzen Schafe........

vwhoodrideconcept

Post by vwhoodrideconcept » 16th August 2014 - 10:46pm

Dear
I am a cardiology Resident for masters
My passion is about vws since childhood but lack of opportunity. And. Made hurdle so
But I proudly own a genuine 67 beetle economy 1200cc 4 years ago
Now I am in search of a type 3 right hand drive
Not available in my country
Could you please help me find a mint car so that I can bring it in to my country
Best regards

Dr kashan

Editor

Post by Editor » 17th August 2014 - 12:17pm

I think we're all looking for that mint Type 3!
Which country would that be, Dr Kashan?
Dave.

In2Rust

Post by In2Rust » 25th August 2014 - 8:13pm

Matt that car is a beauty !
1969 Peru Green Squareback