1971 Type 3 Fastback 1600E

For Type 3 and 4 restoration projects, interesting history, adventure trips etc
Chino

Re: 1971 Type 3 Fastback 1600E

Post by Chino » 17th July 2017 - 8:48am

Thanks Broady, you have been busy! I've not had them to bits myself but I'm going off what Chris Gilley tells me, and I trust him, he's got 40+ years experience with these weird old aircooled things hah The car itself runs/drives great bar the overfueling on two of the cylinders, so i'm hoping it's a case a good strip, clean and rebuild will sort them out. I've taken the car off the road for now as I don't want to risk burning up valves etc in this state. More than happy to pay the money for a good service on things like that though. I'm going to make a few phone calls today on that front, I'll let you know how I get on, thanks for the help :)

Chino

Post by Chino » 12th October 2017 - 8:43am

Right... Quick update on where this is up to.

Engine wise, I took the car to Stef at MAC VW in Stretford. Needless to say he properly balanced and tuned the engine, replacing one idle jet, and had it working wonderfully in half an hour. Stef advised the carbs probably would benefit from a rebuild as they looked quite original in condition, however, it certainly runs very well now.

Recently I've developed a looseness and a fair bit of play/knocking in the lower arms (hence my recent question in the workshop area), I've sourced the required bushings, bearings and seals from Mario at T3HQ who was a great help as always. After careful thought, seeing as I will be paying someone to do the work, I will look to replace the lower arms as I am fairly certain mine will be quite worn. I can lay my hands on some NOS ones, although it will take me a month or two to allocate funds now I have (hopefully), stopped laying out for parts for my Seat Ibiza and T25! So to this end the Fasty will most likely be living tucked up under its warm car cover in its garage over winter until I get this sorted.

broady_6

Post by broady_6 » 18th October 2017 - 8:01am

I tend to do jobs by feel, have the parts on had, but if your original parts still sensibly fall within spec I tend to refit them. It adds a bit of character to the car to keep its original parts where they can me. Id have ago at the beam yourself. Its dead simple work, especially if youre taking it off the car. Youll save many pence :D
The sultan of swing

Chino

Post by Chino » 18th October 2017 - 9:09am

broady_6 wrote:
18th October 2017 - 8:01am
I tend to do jobs by feel, have the parts on had, but if your original parts still sensibly fall within spec I tend to refit them. It adds a bit of character to the car to keep its original parts where they can me. Id have ago at the beam yourself. Its dead simple work, especially if youre taking it off the car. Youll save many pence :D
My issues at the moment tend to be getting time sadly, that and currently having to do 'car stuff' under the radar of the wife(I'm sure we've all been there at some point). I'm quite fortunate in that I've got a few very good places not too far from home I can use, who tend to be not overly expensive with their rates :) I get your meaning re: original parts, I'm certainly not against hoarding and saving spares for another day if not needed just yet....my shed pays testament to this! I suspect for the time being it will be slow progress, the car is currently in the garage under a dust cover with it's dehumidifier boxes setup for winter.