1971 VW Type 3 Fastback

For Type 3 and 4 restoration projects, interesting history, adventure trips etc
broady_6

Re: 1971 VW Type 3 Fastback

Post by broady_6 » 9th April 2018 - 9:50pm

I was going to try it the jig saw way. But as id done that previously with mixed results I decided to go for full pans with small mods at the front and back. Im pretty please the more I look at it. Once the welds are dressed and its epoxyed it wont look bad at all. Just not sure what to do with the anchor plate in the floor. Remove it and weld the hole up. Or just bang a bolt in to fill the hole
The sultan of swing

kaddy

Post by kaddy » 9th April 2018 - 11:20pm

Tasty looking solution there, you can't beat a bit of ingenuity.
Nice.

broady_6

Post by broady_6 » 22nd April 2018 - 8:51pm

Thanks for the kind words. Progress has been a little thin recently but this weekend I certainly made up for it.

The other pan front end mod.

Not quite as neat but its all there, bit more work to shape it up will give a decent results.

Ive also fetched another pile of parts back from the powder coaters.

I also got most of the pan furniture blasted rather than spending ages cleaning it up myself.

The kick pans are a little pin holey towards the bottom but its pretty minimal compared the rest of the floor!

That was the last couple of weeks. Now there is the weekend 21/4/18 Im desperate to get the chassis back together and rolling. Having it all in bits is cluttering up my garage and its annoying me.

I then sheeted the ground down with the spine one the trestles and used a sand blasting gun Ive recently bought to speed things up and get into all the fiddly its before the epoxy goes on.

its done a decent job of things like the seat rails.

I blasted the while rear end as well, better than a wire wheel which just polishes it. And any rush edges were just eating the strip discs.

Once complete I gave everything a good clean up and sweep up. Followed by some strip disc action on the spine to remove the paint. Following this was the major surgery, Pans in! I bolted the spine in, followed by each pan being secured in place. Then tacked along each edge and any trimming required.

To give it some strength once I unbolted it, the rear corners got a little reconstruction.

I then got it back on the trestles and started the long jobs of welding them in and modifying the rear of the pans to match the type 3.

The drivers side pan is now in and im happy with it. Id say ive broken the back of it :D
The sultan of swing