1970 fastback pulled from a garage after 30 years!

For Type 3 and 4 restoration projects, interesting history, adventure trips etc
Doug

1970 fastback pulled from a garage after 30 years!

Post by Doug » 27th October 2014 - 10:48pm

Hi All I am new to this forum and Type 3 ownership but know already that I am going to need the help of other owners and experts. On that note I will tell you all I have been lucky enough to have crossed paths with a right hand elm green fast back that has been laid up in a lovely dry garage for years. The last time this car showed as having road tax was in 1984 so it has been assessed that with this info and the fact the car is showing only 37250 miles on it and very little wear. Its not had a welding torch near it and other than the inner arches where the front bumper attaches it doesn't seem to need any! Even this didn't prevent it from passing an MOT with just 2 advisories. On its way to me it had the brakes and fuel lines sorted and its now on the road with me. I source some NOS front and rear bumpers, had the original wheels restored to former glory with a colour correct powder coating and some correct size tyres. As the car has changed very little the plan for the car is to remain as original and true to the year of make as possible. Most of all I am enjoying the smile I get when I drive about in it. Hope to get some pictures up loaded soon.
Cheers Doug

Editor

Re: 1970 fastback pulled from a garage after 30 years!

Post by Editor » 28th October 2014 - 1:07am

Excellent news, Doug. There are a few original cars left to be discovered I'm sure, but not many. Good colour too. It's a spur to me to get the other wing sorted on mine.
Dave.

In2Rust

Post by In2Rust » 28th October 2014 - 5:37pm

Sounds like a great find Doug :)

But u know what they say ..... pics or it never happened ;)
1969 Peru Green Squareback

Doug

Post by Doug » 28th October 2014 - 6:42pm

Ha ha pics on the way just have to figure out how to load them.

Chino

Post by Chino » 28th October 2014 - 8:21pm

If you put Image
It should then show them, like this:

EDIT hmm ok that didn't work, leave it with me, ill figure it out :) Car looks great though!

Editor

Post by Editor » 29th October 2014 - 1:33am

The photo name needs to end in .jpg, so I'm not sure there's an easy answer. At least the links work, but it seems easier to look at the photostream rather than keep loading the URLs.

It's a very satisfying colour when cleaned up, isn't it? Pure, but more subdued than the '72-'73 Sumatra green, and it responds well to polishing.
Dave.

Doug

Post by Doug » 29th October 2014 - 9:26am

Dave I really like the colour but tbh it's only had some t cut on the front end and a wash. I need to get to grips with it with some kind of paint restoring compound. Having never done a mop on a car I am a bit overwhelmed on what to use and where to start so I am simply giving it a winter clean up & waxing to stop what little rust there is. Gonna drive it about until the salt hits the road then take it on over the winter.
Hoping to get some bits for it at Slough but trying hard to use nos. hi on the list is an exhaust!! Good luck with that I hear you say!!
Thanks for your input and appreciation of the car.

Chino

Post by Chino » 29th October 2014 - 10:27am

If you want to give it a machine polish as such, have a read on Detailing World about what equipment and pads/polishes are out there. I used to detail as a sideline and mainly used a dual action polisher as opposed to a full rotary, as there was much less chance of causing paint damage or 'strike-through' whilst trying to correct paintwork. In fact it's one of the first things I did with mine, full paint detox and machine polish. If you have any questions on that front feel free to ask :)

Image369 by snuffleclip, on Flickr

that's from using share button and 'bbcode' option on Flickr.

Editor

Post by Editor » 29th October 2014 - 12:20pm

There are plenty of the original style silencers out there in people's stashes - more of the after-market than the genuine VW-stamped ones. I brought a large bore (72-on) and a small bore (66-71) after-market ones to Stanford Hall and took them home again, and Mike Typ3 had at least one there as well! My after-market ones were marked up at £80. You would probably have to spend nearer £200 or more for genuine ones, which sounds a lot until you price up the modern replacements.

There are usually problems separating the 42mm nuts from the upper heat exchangers, and heating cherry red is usually needed, with prior applications of Plus-gas or similar. I cut off the old silencer near that point and then use a 42mm socket (also fits Type 2 rear hubs) with a 3/4" drive!
The lower pipe is often seized on the lower (main) heat exchanger too, so it's usually a matter of peeling off the remains from the fairly thick heat exchanger pipe. You want to check that pipe for rusting, particularly where it goes into the heat exchanger shroud - it can rust through, giving exhaust leaks into the heater - dangerous.
Silencer fitting kits are a bit rare, but the Beetle or Type 2 exhaust kit has most of what you need, and the extra copper crush rings for the upper heat exchangers are available from motorbike shops or on the forum. The small-bore tailpipe, damper pipe and fitting kit are around in small numbers. It's worth getting the proper clamps - some are just a band of bent thin sheet, which looks a bit cheap!

The message is to keep the old one going for as long as you can, until it pretty much falls apart, while you collect the decent original components to do the job properly. The genuine parts are still out there, and last so much better than the 'pattern' parts, they're worth the extra cost really. Something to do in time for Spring, maybe.
Dave.

Doug

Post by Doug » 29th October 2014 - 2:20pm

Dave clearly a fountain of knowledge about the type 3 will look forward to drawing on your knowledge in the future. Thanks for the advice and all the tips. You really have no idea how much it's needed. Look forward collecting all the various bits and bobs that will be needed To keep my fasty as original as possible.

Editor

Post by Editor » 29th October 2014 - 6:00pm

You're very welcome, Doug. I've driven a Type 3 since 1964 and owned a number of them, mostly sequentially, since 1974, so have amassed the knowledge and quite a few spares over the years!
Dave.

In2Rust

Post by In2Rust » 29th October 2014 - 6:13pm

Wow! Doug :) What a nice find. Its a great colour. Mine just has more rustina mixed in ;)

I managed to find an NOS exhaust recently for very little. But missing the tailpipe. So they are out there. Getting the knackered old one off was the challenge. As Dave says the 42mm pipe style fixings are a PITA. I cut exhaust off below them, heated the crap out of them and used a socket to eventually break them free.

I think the tailpipe bore on mine is around 45mm so must be the big bore. I am having trouble trying to find the tailpipe.

Hopefully see u at a show next season. Elmgreen line-up :thumbsup:
1969 Peru Green Squareback

Angelo Amato

Post by Angelo Amato » 29th October 2014 - 10:35pm

lovely original example that, well done :thumbsup: