1964 RHD Notch - Ozzy

For Type 3 and 4 restoration projects, interesting history, adventure trips etc
KateM

1964 RHD Notch - Ozzy

Post by KateM » 16th December 2014 - 4:05pm

Hi Everyone from a Newbie :)

Meet Ozzy :) Our 1964 Australian RHD Notch which we have just purchased :) The plan is to fully strip it down and make a start on putting it right from bottom to top - We have given ourselves 6-7 months for this :shock: fingers crossed

It was purchased as an unfinished project, with some bits done and a few shiny bits bolted on but I want to strip it right back again so we know what we are dealing with, luckily my brother is a dab hand with a welder and is going to be helping us out loads

I am sure there will be a million questions as already parts and information seems to be slightly thin on the ground :cry:

It already looks like the RHD dash is going to have to be reproduced in Australia :shock: :shock:

Plan is on Sunday / Monday Evening to start taking the interior out, and to try and clean up the gauges as these are shocking! Can anyone recommend someone who can restore them?

Also after a RHD wiring diagram if anyone can point me in the right direction ???

Thanks for all your help in advance and I hope you enjoy following the story

Kate :)

A few more pictures of it in is current sorry state

miketyp3

Re: 1964 RHD Notch - Ozzy

Post by miketyp3 » 16th December 2014 - 5:37pm

Hi Kate,
Glad you found us.
It looks a solid car, and actually pretty reasonable compared to the nightmares I take on... Hopefully it won't take long to get it on the road.

The information is out there, its not always easy to find, but ask here there's usually someone who can help.
The parts situation is 100 times better than it was a few years ago. Again ask and if its out there someone will know where to find it - usually at the best price too!

Most of us that have been "in the game" for a few years have a healthy stock of spares, as it paid back then to buy the parts when they were available, and not wait until they were needed.

Its a habit that is hard to kick for some of us... :oops: and as i said on facebook, if its going to be used then most would be happy to part with what you need if it gets you on the road.

The gauges are easy to dismantle if a cosmetic restoration is all that is required.
Once the chrome trim ring is eased off the bezel and glass drop right out.
The silver I use for the bezels is Ford Silver Fox. I experimented with a few VW shades, but the ford colour looked closer to my eyes.

Australian made cars do have there own electrics, so it may not be spot on, but this will be the closest wiring diagram to go with,
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/inf ... 200dpi.jpg

Anyway, I hope that helps a bit, keep posting with progress and hopefully we'll see you and Ozzy at a show next year.

Mike
Mike

64 1500S Notchback - RHD Sunroof
66 1600TL Fastback - Pigalle Interior
67 T346 Karmann Ghia - RHD Sunroof

KateM

Post by KateM » 17th December 2014 - 10:26am

Hi Mike

Thank you. Ahhhh thesamba.com I completely forgot about this - it was a big help when we rewired our Bus. I only associated it with buses :oops: Lots of interesting stuff on there :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Thanks for the tips on the gauges I will give them a go over Christmas - they all work expect the clock (this may be to do with the car now running 12v and the clock being a 6v clock maybe??

Kate :)

miketyp3

Post by miketyp3 » 17th December 2014 - 1:50pm

Yes you probably don't would't to connect the clock directly to a 12v supply...
It draws very little power, so one of the dropper resistors can be used - presuming its not already toast that is...
They often don't work anyway, but are incredibly simple - being basically a mechanical clock that winds itself every couple of minutes.
It happens when the battery is allowed to go flat while still connected in the car.

The clock continues to merrily to wind itself up until the voltage in the cars battery drops too low to actuate the winder.
As this happens it draws more current (science) which would burn eventually burn out the windings of the winder if there wasn't a fuse made of electical solder that melts and breaks the circuit.

Usually all thats required is to remove the rear cover, locate the fuse (or the terminals for it) and reinstate it.
There are not many I've had I couldn't fix this way.

Mike
Mike

64 1500S Notchback - RHD Sunroof
66 1600TL Fastback - Pigalle Interior
67 T346 Karmann Ghia - RHD Sunroof

In2Rust

Post by In2Rust » 27th December 2014 - 11:05pm

Nice looking Notch.

Get yourself the Bentley manual it will help you out loads.

If you need help with the interior just message me. eg headliner, carpets upholstery etc

Also dashboard pad has been reproduced by a guy in the USA.

Loads of really great info on thesamba.com too

Good luck!
1969 Peru Green Squareback

Kharon8

Post by Kharon8 » 29th December 2014 - 5:54pm

KateM wrote:... they all work expect the clock (this may be to do with the car now running 12v and the clock being a 6v clock maybe??
Yes and/or just being stuck. Old oils collect dust and get sticky so the clock doesn't work anymore. Also it might be totally worn out. I'm assuming it's old style electromechanic clock since it's a 6V clock: New, all electronic quartz clocks are running with 12V.

Not too expensive to have a clocksmith to clean and oil it if it's not too worn.

( I had Ghia clock repaired (=got ready) last winter and it needed one totally new gear and three new bearings: Totally worn out. "Only" 80 euros as it was a clocksmith school people who repaired it and it took 1,5 years. Fraction of official cost (2-3 work days) so I can't complain too much. :) )

6V clock takes about 1A of current when it winds the spring (which keeps it running) about once in a minute so you could use a simple 6V voltage regulator for powering it from 12V (like I did as the Ghia runs now with 12V electrics), type number 7806 and those cost about an euro here in North.

The regulator has three legs: One is common ground, one is 12V in and one 6V out, very easy to install directly to the clock wire as +12V and ground you'll have nearby anyway.
Here's a pic and pin order: http://www.engineersgarage.com/electron ... ts/7806-ic

Amperage/power is so small that the regulator doesn't need cooling at all and doesn't heat like a resistor would.

Br,
Thomas
Kharon - '61typ2, '63typ14,'65typ34 & '74 412
FVWA.fi Support Group

KateM

Post by KateM » 4th January 2015 - 7:20pm

So a little later than planned and we have stripped Ozzy's interior out and its now in our spare room until its refurbished :shock: :shock:

I really cant decide weather to go the whole hog and strip it right back, possible dip and strip or to do as planned - Weld in to new floor pans and lower sills and a sort a few bits of rot of the upper body and then re paint !!!

We come across a few things which need sorting - There appears to have been a hole cut in the main tunnel :shock: :shock: maybe this was done for access for a repair??? Either way I would like to put this right

The front of the notch has also had a repair the drivers side (right side) has had a repair in the past as the gap is bigger and not the same as the left side front - see pictured below.

Right Side

Left Side

It all lines up pretty well, but am thinking I'd like to put a new front apron in there and fix it correctly! My concerns are I cant seem to find a front apron section easily. I have emailed vwispwest as they list one but no stock, also I think I may be opening a whole can of worms!

Can anyone point me in the direction of best place to get lower sills from - VW Heritage list them and seem to have them in stock? Anyone used them - are they of good quality?

Last question for now - :) Should there be a side/lower gasket/seal between the rear wings and body or is there meant to be nothing there. There is the rubber seal at the top but nothing between the body and wing

As ever, many thanks
Kate

260KMN

Post by 260KMN » 5th January 2015 - 1:02pm

Hello Kate

Yes the wing beading runs all the way around the edges. It changes profile in different areas. its difficult to see in your pics but that looks like bug beading.
ISP West in the US do new beading kits but so far only in black. Mike on here sometimes has some pieces but dont know what colour you need.
For my 63 Notch i used a sill/rocker outer repair panel from CSP.de in Germany, it lined up quite well with a bit of modifying. Although some people say they could not get them to fit i had no problems. No doubt when you remove the existing sill you will uncover more rot which requires fabrication as no panels are available.
I believe Notches had the same shape of heater channel throughout production, unlike squares and fasties, i thought about getting some cut from a donor car but could not find any.
Heres the link to my ongoing resto thread http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=594623
Rgds
Paul

KateM

Post by KateM » 5th January 2015 - 2:56pm

Hi Paul

Wow you are doing a great job on your resto - your work looks amazing :) We have yet to take the wings off and have a look with them off !!
Thanks for the advice on the beading I will see what I can find. I will be following your resto thread as inspiration :)

Regards
Kate

In2Rust

Post by In2Rust » 5th January 2015 - 10:56pm

Contact Mario at T3HQ he has a nice stash of NOS and good used metal. Sure he will have what you need.
1969 Peru Green Squareback

KateM

Post by KateM » 7th January 2015 - 12:40pm

Great Thanks - I have sent him a message :)

KateM

Post by KateM » 1st March 2015 - 8:00pm

Hello Folks, so its been a good few weeks but here is an update.
We made the decision to strip the car right back and have it sent away for paint ad rust removal. It is off on Tuesday to a company called Enviro-Strip UK. We did a lot of research and got a really good feel for these guys. This change of direction has now meant we are into a full resto, which I feel better with as we plan on keeping the car long term. I hope we can do the car justice and I am really looking forward to it taking shape over this year.

This has also meant our initial budget has been blown right out the window :) :) but hey ho that's what having a soft stop for old VW's does lol

So a few picture of the strip down and the bad bits....

Here we go :)

Rears are OK but there is rot around the rear parcel shelf area in the corners

Right inner fender is crumpled - suspect past accident damage so a new inner fender section and front apron in going in

Body off the pan was fun to watch

the section with the red arrow needs a few repairs

inner rockers /heater channels are bad :(

This is going to be repaired properly so its no longer welded to the floor pan and back to being bolted on

Lets see what it looks like when it comes back from rust removal - eek :)

I've managed to find some NOS replacement bits I need from T3HQ so hopefully with those bits and some clever work from my metal work shop we should be all good

Editor

Post by Editor » 3rd March 2015 - 3:28am

Do it properly, cry once! Well done.
Dave.

KateM

Post by KateM » 24th June 2015 - 5:34pm

Sorry for the delay in updating, the months are just flying by.
So lots has been happening to Ozzy.

The pictures will tell a better story than me :) He has been de-rusted, etch primed and is now being welding back to his forum glory at Paul Baker Custom Metal Works - Regular update can be found on Paul's facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pbcm.ltd?fref=ts

A few picture so far

Ozzy being de-rusted -

After the process

After Etch Primer

Now to be have the new NOS panels fitted and all the holey bits renewed with fresh metal - There is a lot more to do than we first hoped but in for a penny in for a pound - or lots of ££££ in this case :o

Last edited by KateM on 7th September 2016 - 3:52pm, edited 2 times in total.

KateM

Post by KateM » 24th June 2015 - 5:45pm

While all this has been going on my new dash pad arrived all the way from Australia. I'm really pleased with it :D :D :D

And I restored my gauges. Very chuffed with these :)

Before

After

Cheers everyone. :)
Last edited by KateM on 7th September 2016 - 3:55pm, edited 2 times in total.

vwfye

Post by vwfye » 26th June 2015 - 6:02am

Wow!
64 No'back Speedster
Little Giant Killer III
------

bigbadbadge

Post by bigbadbadge » 29th June 2015 - 8:39pm

Wow you are doing some serious work there. looks great so far, keep up the good work. The clocks look stunning and I am jealous of your dash top, very nice.

All the best

Chris

KateM

Post by KateM » 14th September 2015 - 3:01pm

Thanks Guys, the months are running away with me but hopefully end of March 2016 deadline is still achievable

Ozzy is off to the paint shop in October, so the now completely rust free body can be prepped and painted - Excited :)

He is going to be Atlas White (L91Z) with a black roof (L041) not OG paint codes but that is what our splitscreen is and I want to keep them the same.

Engine and Running gear is being overhauled by my brother while the car is in the paint and then the big build up can restart.

I have been all round the country speaking to trimmers and have chosen Kens Custom's to look after Ozzy's interior, this is what we have in mind for him :)

For anyone who fancies having a look through the whole photo album - https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 95d934e4e4
Last edited by KateM on 7th September 2016 - 4:02pm, edited 1 time in total.

KateM

Post by KateM » 17th November 2015 - 10:05am

So next update and a few more pictures:

The prep on the body is underway and it will soon be in paint, now that bit I am really looking forward too

The floor has been sealed, protected and painted. We used a protection called Raptor - it's really tough and and is also available so we can tint it when it comes to doing the underneath the shell before paint - I am doing all I can to hope my baby doesn't rust again (well at least for a very very long time :))

And Painted :)

Running Gear, Engine and Transmission are all being refurbished by my brother as I type - He is the true star behind this build, his payment is a bottle of JD Honey every week :) I think he needs it to cope with some of the issues we have come up against !!!

There is stuff everywhere at the minute !!!!

Nice new steering wheel from Aircooled Accessories which the family bought me for my birthday :)

The other weekend we refurbished the pedal box

and lots of expensive rubber has been arriving from USA and Germany :D

Is there a Type 3 Club display or anything being organised for Volksworld Show at Sandown??

Kate x
Last edited by KateM on 7th September 2016 - 5:00pm, edited 1 time in total.

Editor

Post by Editor » 17th November 2015 - 12:38pm

That's a stunning job you're doing - well done indeed.
I'm sure there will be a club line-up at the least - Danny will no doubt be in touch about it soon.
Dave.

Tight yorkie mick

Post by Tight yorkie mick » 18th November 2015 - 2:24pm

Lovely project, liking the radars too.

KateM

Post by KateM » 22nd November 2015 - 8:54pm

little bit more work done this weekend

Primer Time :)

ChipsBrennan

Post by ChipsBrennan » 20th December 2015 - 3:32am

Hi,

Looks fantastic, great work.

Who did you get your new dashboard from in Australia please?

Just picked up a 68 Notch in AUS for my 9 year old son and i to restore - will be a looong project!!!

Love the work on the gauges, just did ours too. No trouble fixing your clock? We had to do the same thing plus removing the old speedo decal with 800 grade wet and dry then 1200 grade then a machine polish - fun times!!!

Cheers,

KateM

Post by KateM » 20th December 2015 - 9:11am

Hi
Thank you, we got our dash made by John @ Fastcraft. It really is fantastic, and just flawless.
You can contact him on email - john@fastacraft.com
He will need the inner plastic rings from your old dash. I had to break my old dash to get theses out, but given the sorry state of my dash anyway this wasn't an issue!

Good luck with the resto! Can't wait to see some pictures.

We are a year in and just starting to put it all back together which is the exciting bit
Kate X

KateM

Post by KateM » 7th September 2016 - 5:24pm

Well hello again everyone, long time away from here unfortunately. Work and life has generally been crazy busy but we are back on 'Ozzy' again and its a mad push to get him to the trimmers in October now.

A little bit of progress since my last post, lots of stuff has been refurbished and the shell is painted :) :) and now the daunting task of trying to piece him back together has started

Seam sealing was a very messy job :)

New tailgate rack has also arrived from Pedro :)

I can wait to see it all coming together.

Thanks Kate x