The Colonel is coming home

For Type 3 and 4 restoration projects, interesting history, adventure trips etc
sbannatyne

The Colonel is coming home

Post by sbannatyne » 31st January 2015 - 1:29pm

http://s1381.photobucket.com/user/steve ... 9.jpg.html

The 68 square is almost done and should be back with me in a few weeks, that said it's only stage one at this point. All the metal work has been finished, including inner wings, pan, front clip, which was substantial. The bottom six inches all round, and in fact higher up in most cases has been cut out and replaced with steel from a donor Californian car.

It has been with T3D for nearly 3 years, and with Lloyd at deluxe metalwork for ages for all the major metal work repair, the work he did was 100% and the car is rock solid underneath.

Some of you may frown that I have just simply sent the car to be "done" by someone else, and yes if I had the skills to do it myself, then I would. However I don't have the skills to do the level of work that this car needed. I'm not a rich man believe me.
My priority was to get it done right and done to preserve this old car. It's right hand drive, automatic, has a factory fitted sunroof and is fairly stock.

So for the next stage I'll need help from forum members.....the car is I believe Lotus white, with a pigalle interior, I want to keep it that way, I need to source good quality carpets for a start any ideas?
I'll be re spraying over the winter ( I can't leave it as is) I have used the Samba to look at the factory colour options for that year, just need my chassis number to clarify, is there another online source for colours interior and exterior?

Bumpers.... Mine are shot but are staying until respray, but need to source new ones or have mine re chromed, any ideas on where to start looking...

And finally I'll need a set of rear wings at some point. I would rather source these bits myself than use T3D as this is within my skill set!

I'll be building a heated spray booth in the autumn for the respray so that's my deadline for the final bits.

More pics will follow once the car arrives back,

Thanks

Steve.

Editor

Re: The Colonel is coming home

Post by Editor » 1st February 2015 - 1:32am

There's a colour chart and paint codes on the club technical site at http://home.clara.net/hallvw/vwpaint.htm

I reckon the colours are reasonably true - they're done by RGB numbers, but monitors can differ.

Lotus white is a '68 only colour, code L282 (see webpage).

I never cease to be surprised at the top quality work done by many owners on here - but no disgrace to get a professional to do the work. Sometimes the total cost of tools, materials, etc adds up to the cost of a professional job anyway!
Dave.

Chino

Post by Chino » 1st February 2015 - 8:45am

I think there is also a lot to be said for knowing what is within your capabities, having fallen foul of this myself in the past and ended up in a pickle, I stand by it :) keep up the good work.

sbannatyne

Post by sbannatyne » 1st February 2015 - 5:20pm

Thanks both,

Lotus white it is then! That was easy. I'll be keeping the interior stock and refurbishing it when it arrives back.

And thanks Chino, my Dad was a car restoration guy, also built a few hot rods in his time, so I have witnessed bad and unsafe work in my early days when he was pulling cars apart for resto. Some of the build threads on this forum are great to see and the level of work has been amazing.

I'll post pictures on the cars arrival mid Feb all being well....

Steve

waller

Post by waller » 4th February 2015 - 6:32pm

bumpers from here not cheap but the only ones you cant get as far as I know

http://www.typ-17.de/index.php/cat/c1160_bumper.html

sbannatyne

Post by sbannatyne » 4th February 2015 - 10:22pm

Wow I was expecting a hefty price tag.... I might just get mine re chromed if possible, the front is bad, back seems straight enough though, thanks for the link, I'm going to bookmark that for future reference!

937carrera

Post by 937carrera » 5th February 2015 - 6:53pm

Are the new German ones polished stainless steel, or real chrome on top of stainless - I think it's the latter but, like my bumpers my german's a bit rusty ?
David
1974 412LS Variant
1973 412LE 4 door Fastback / Saloon

sbannatyne

Post by sbannatyne » 5th February 2015 - 7:25pm

At that price I would expect chrome, could buy another square for that, albeit a very rusty one.

Editor

Post by Editor » 6th February 2015 - 12:55pm

Google reckons "Absolute top quality stainless steel" and "Very beautiful deep lustre chrome", so I guess it is the latter. They won't be as massive as the old ones, but who's going to park them where they may get dented, at that price? Though a good rechrome of a sound pair of genuine would probably set you back a similar sum.
Any info on the quality of the chroming on them?
Dave.