68 vw fastback AUS

For Type 3 and 4 restoration projects, interesting history, adventure trips etc
Joe_bury

68 vw fastback AUS

Post by Joe_bury » 28th July 2016 - 5:21am

Hi all,

I thought I'd say hello, I've just signed up to the website which I'm glad I did there's some great posts and information to be had on here.
I'm writing from Melbourne Australia been out here for nearly 8 years originally from North London and still have vw in the blood.

I'm in he process of picking up my new purchase on this 68 fastback. I'm very excited as I've never owned a type 3 before and always wanted this model. Just couldn't settle for a beetle which I was umming and arring about for a while as these very rarely come up.

As you can see it needs a bit of work especially the rusty sill but it's a good base car to start which is mostly solid all over, been in he dry most of its life. One side shines the other is dented 'character' ha. I am the 4th owner from new. Apart from the standard brake overhaul and engine tune it has a clutch slip in first gear that needs attention. Comes with a spare engine which is the original to the car so will rebuild that over time and all missing trim new and old plus hubcaps.
First intentions is to get the roadworthy (Aus Mot) to use as a daily then decide where I take it from there but it's a rare car out here now and worth holding onto to restore over time.

Anyway be good to hear your thoughts and anyone living in Melbourne too it'll be good to hear from you.
Please let me know if this link doesn't work for the pictures.
http://postimg.org/gallery/j62xzc7s/

Cheers
Joe

Editor

Re: 68 vw fastback AUS

Post by Editor » 28th July 2016 - 1:36pm

Welcome to the Forum. Good to have another active Australian member. Ross Clarke is up at Brisbane with an autumn 65 Fastback ('66 6-volt model), which also has the 5-bolt wheels. In much of the world the Fastback started with 4-bolts and discs, but other markets (eg South Africa) kept the 5-bolts and drums all round for a few years more. I expect yours was fully produced in Australia. The first Type 3s were imported as completely knocked down kits (CKD) and assembled and painted in Australia. Later ones were pressed and welded up entirely in Australia, as I understand, but towards the end of production, they began importing the CKD kits again, and just assembling from parts.

That's a fine-looking car as a project - I wish our projects came with that little rust!

Ross is "ready for the 5 hour trip this Friday to Valla Beach mid coast in New South Wales where our biggest VW swap meet is held every two years".
That looks twice as far from you as it is from him! I think he drove the Fastback down to Melbourne to see relatives last year, so you may get to meet up some time.
Dave.

Joe_bury

Re: 68 vw fastback AUS

Post by Joe_bury » 1st August 2016 - 12:12am

Thanks Dave, yes I'm pretty sure this one was produced in Aus which isn't a bad thing at all.

I'll keep an eye out for him in the forum put hoping to pick the car up on the weekend so I'll post a few more pics once cleaned up etc.
Looking forward to working on it.

Regards
Joe